Valve rotor skirt/web removal?

The bulk of the musical talk
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Valve rotor skirt/web removal?

Post by bigtubby »

A few years ago I remember a thread here about grinding away the skirt or web between ports on valve rotors but it seems to have disappeared.

Recently I acquired a Yamaha YCB-661 and one of its excellent playing characteristics is a very clean "finger slur". It either was built with this feature or someone has modified it.

Any input/opinions on this mod?
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Valve rotor skirt/web removal?

Post by Dan Schultz »

bigtubby wrote:A few years ago I remember a thread here about grinding away the skirt or web between ports on valve rotors but it seems to have disappeared.

Recently I acquired a Yamaha YCB-661 and one of its excellent playing characteristics is a very clean "finger slur". It either was built with this feature or someone has modified it.

A few years ago I experimented with removing material from rotor skirts to lessen friction and reduce weight. I thought I put them on my web pages but don't see them there now and cannot locate the images. I still have one of those rotors somewhere. I'll try to dig it out and send you some pics.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

Dan Schultz wrote:
bigtubby wrote:A few years ago I remember a thread here about grinding away the skirt or web between ports on valve rotors but it seems to have disappeared.

A few years ago I experimented with removing material from rotor skirts to lessen friction and reduce weight. I thought I put them on my web pages but don't see them there now and cannot locate the images. I still have one of those rotors somewhere. I'll try to dig it out and send you some pics.
Thank you Dan!

What I remember was a thread her on the forum discussing this as an improvement in air flow and cleaner transitions between valve positions. On closer inspection, the Yamaha's ports in the rotors don't go straight through, but are concave. A photo:
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

bigtubby wrote:... What I remember was a thread here on the forum discussing this as an improvement in air flow and cleaner transitions between valve positions. On closer inspection, the Yamaha's ports in the rotors don't go straight through, but are concave. A photo:
AHA! This is something quite different from what I was doing. You might try searching for 'scooped' rotors.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.