Traction Control

The bulk of the musical talk
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Traction Control

Post by bone-a-phone »

IM looking for either wrap or adhesive pads you might use to get a grip on your tuba. Links to something specific would be most helpful. Visited the drug store and there was a lot of almost-but-not-quite going on. Being Tubenet, I'll likely get a bell full of snark, but I just need a couple of suggestions from people that actually use the stuff. Like adhesive neoprene pad, or substantial cloth tape, or Sheldon Cooper's bathtub adhesive ducks, etc.

Thx
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Traction Control

Post by fenne1ca »

This stuff is perfect, I keep a piece in every gig bag. Great for difficult slides/valve caps too, to say nothing of shop/kitchen use.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Brand-S ... t/38055921" target="_blank
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Post by tubapix »

[quote="fenne1ca"]This stuff is perfect, I keep a piece in every gig bag. Great for difficult slides/valve caps too, to say nothing of shop/kitchen use.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Brand-S ... t/38055921" target="_blank"

I use this stuff all the time. I cut a piece 5-6' long and about 10" wide. It comes in several colors but I use tan or black to match my pants. I have also seen people wrap the horn with it but I'm lazy. Good luck! :tuba:
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
Slamson
bugler
bugler

Post by Slamson »

Same stuff is available at Dollar Tree. I think... I think it's a dollar.
sorry, I don't do signatures.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Years ago, I used a piece of real chamois cloth, like what used to be used to dry off a car. Slightly damp, it could grip anything.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

A similar thread has been posted earlier and mentioned those black dashboard gel pads that can grip and hold a cell phone.
They can easily be stuck to the bow or branches and used to keep the tuba from slipping off the pants.
Being a gel type product they work as if they are adhesive, but there is no glue just a certain type of suction.
I, and others, have ordered them in bulk making them about a buck a piece.
However, there is a significant problem with them; for me in particular, in that they tend to curl, tear and/or distort and eventually pull off. This can happen rather quickly, that is within a hour or so.
With a little care and attention, they should however last through a performance.
I have noticed that they come in various thicknesses as well as sizes. Thicker is better.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)