Miraphones vs Mirafones

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Miraphones vs Mirafones

Post by TheTuba »

never got it. It's like the great Caramel debate.

-Raghul
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Miraphones vs Mirafones

Post by TheTuba »

yeah, it kind of is.
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

As far as i understand it, mirafone was stamped on american market horns for a number of years, my 181 is marked “mirafone” and was made at some point in the 90s. Im too lazy to find the true age. Doesnt matter to me because its in amazing shape regardless.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Similarly, "Meinl Weston" is called Melton everywhere except the US. There is an American trucking company (or something) called Melton.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

the elephant wrote:There was a phone handset maker (or a telecom company - I have heard both but never seen any hard evidence) called Miraphone in the US in the 1960s and 1970s that later went out of business, or some such nonsense. It was simply a case of two companies having the same name coming into conflict.
Yes, I have seen ads for "Miraphone" telephone sets on eBay. I think there also is a hearing aid manufacturer named Miraphone.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

bort wrote:Similarly, "Meinl Weston" is called Melton everywhere except the US. There is an American trucking company (or something) called Melton.
The 60s/70s band, "Country Joe and The Fish" of "Gimme an F..." fame at Woodstock was the collaboration of Country Joe McDonald and Barry "The Fish" Melton.

Jeff "He sees things and tells you about them" Benedict
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

In case you've never seen one... the Miraphone!

https://fccid.io/png.php?id=407073&page=0" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by windshieldbug on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
paulver

Post by paulver »

Researched this some time ago. Here's what I found:

Miraphone........ sold in Germany.

Way back when......... Mirafone...... sold in USA. Somebody in the Germany plant thought that a more "Americanized" spelling of the name would sell better in the US. Probably due to WWII or some such thing. Eventually, the American market was shut down, and everything was labeled Miraphone.

Research was done online, so it could be true........ or not!!!!!

Also, here's a link to a site that lists Miraphone brass serial numbers and dates manufactured. Judging from the exact number on the bell, mine (Mirafone) was made around the first semester of my junior year in college..... 1971.

https://www.adams-music.com/instrumente ... p?lid=1033" target="_blank" target="_blank
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

paulver wrote:Somebody in the Germany plant thought that a more "Americanized" spelling of the name would sell better in the US. Probably due to WWII or some such thing.
Not that it disproves this theory, but ... that's just crazy. It's backwards. Pick the German word in the following pairs:
  • Graphic, Grafik
  • Telephone, Telefon
(I admit that I am having a hard time finding more than those two examples, but give me one example of the converse! Other than "Mirafone".)
paulver

Post by paulver »

Like I said........ online info! Could be true, or maybe not. Just putting in what I found on the topic. Not trying to convince anyone to believe it.