Large piston CC with small (and light) valves

The bulk of the musical talk
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Large piston CC with small (and light) valves

Post by DouglasJB »

As a few of you guys know I broke my hand a few months back and had to switch to rotors (not my favorite personally) so i have been wondering which large horns (5/4-6/4) have small valves in them? I know most modern MW and B&S are using the "Big Valves", but are there any that use significantly smaller valves?

I vaguely remember reading (not that I remember where) that older PCK's have smaller valves.

Thanks everyone, more of a curiousity than anything
joshealejo
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Large piston CC with small (and light) valves

Post by joshealejo »

I have read that some 2165 had small piston valves
Some stuff
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

All (most?) MW tubas had small valves before the the large valve sets were implemented. Some people like them better, both for how they play and for ergonomics. I once heard one of the "big guys" tell me, though, that the manufacturing consistency wasn't as good as the modern valve sets, and that there it is more economical as well for them to perfect one set of valves, and use it for everything.

FWIW, the Miraphine 1291/2/3 with Yamaha euph (or tuba) springs was light and comfortable for me.
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

Eastman 6/4. Yamayork.
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

bort wrote:All (most?) MW tubas had small valves before the the large valve sets were implemented. Some people like them better, both for how they play and for ergonomics. I once heard one of the "big guys" tell me, though, that the manufacturing consistency wasn't as good as the modern valve sets, and that there it is more economical as well for them to perfect one set of valves, and use it for everything.

FWIW, the Miraphine 1291/2/3 with Yamaha euph (or tuba) springs was light and comfortable for me.

Bort,

Where are you getting you Yamaha euph springs.

Eric
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

It was about 10 years ago, I called Roger Lewis at WWBW. Not sure where to get them today, but not under the impression that they are hard to get. Could be wrong!
joshealejo
3 valves
3 valves

Post by joshealejo »

I bough them several times on ebay, Dillon music also sold me, but they are not in their website.

FWIW I have seen copies of yamaha psrings on stainless steel sold by a company called Bras-Fix on ebay (They are from England) They are the best springs I have bough! The pistons of my holton are trumpet-like with them! they are really that soft! (imh they are best than Yamaha) Check them out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Maestro ... SwsW9Y0UNg

I really suggest try them!

Oldschooltuba wrote:
bort wrote:All (most?) MW tubas had small valves before the the large valve sets were implemented. Some people like them better, both for how they play and for ergonomics. I once heard one of the "big guys" tell me, though, that the manufacturing consistency wasn't as good as the modern valve sets, and that there it is more economical as well for them to perfect one set of valves, and use it for everything.

Bort,

Where are you getting you Yamaha euph springs.

Eric
Some stuff
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

The MW 'Big Valves' are a good bit bigger in span than nearly all others. Even other quite big valves feel a LOT more manageable to me. As others have mentioned, Yamaha, Nirschl, Miraphone, etc etc are all no problem for me, but not the MW.
The most comfortable pistons I've used with a large bore, are the Gronitz curved pistons they used to use on all their horns.
If you're OK with smaller bore all valves feel easier - King for example.
Didn't you have an Eastman 4/4 until the hand business? In that case though you might struggle as don't they have pretty manageable pistons?
What is your issue with rotors?
Best,
MP
Peach
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Sorry to interrupt but what is a "curved piston?" I'm unable to visualize that....
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Comparison of Miraphone 1281 vs Gronitz PF125, courtesy of Hornguys. Note disposition of valves, along a smaller radius arc in the case of the Gronitz. (Particularly from 1 to 3, which is as good as straight on the Miraphone and I suppose most piston valves.)
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

I do miss my Eastman, the only issue with rotors is just the sound. I'm not getting the sound I want, but again, this is more of a curiousity than anything. Just something to think about and to give me a few horns to try to locate and try
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Does anyone know what year (roughly) that Nirschl and MW/B&S stopped using the small valves?