Playing with a Wedding Ring

The bulk of the musical talk
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Playing with a Wedding Ring

Post by funkcicle »

I use automotive tape to wrap contact points on my horns. One of my college professors had been doing it for decades (along with scores of his disciples), changing it only every few years when the exterior of the tape surface had gotten scuffed up. There's no adhesive and it doesn't affect the lacquer beyond keeping it cleaner than the rest of the horn - which could theoretically result in coloration differences long term due to lack of UV exposure and dust decomposition. Here's a picture- https://i.imgur.com/EFX1BQ1.jpg" target="_blank
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Post by tubapix »

I have been playing the same horn with my wedding ring on for 21 years now and I don't have any issues (scratches, dents ...). I purchased it new in 1989 so I know every scratch and ding on it. The horn has virtually ZERO dents and very few scratches or wear marks. Just be mindful of what you do, how you do it and adjust if necessary and you will have no problem wearing the ring when you play.
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I put a tennis racquet grip on my unlacquered horn and when I took it off there was green underneath. And I am not a sweaty person in general.
If you wear glasses you can put the ring on one of the ear pieces, which is what I do when I wash my hands in a public restroom.

Some of us have different ring sizes on left and right....my left hand is 1/4 size smaller than my right. So a wedding band won't even go comfortably on my right ring finger.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

See this is why I haven't gotten married. That and the fact that marriage is a punishment for shoplifting in some countries.