Chinese Tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Chinese Tubas

Post by TheTuba »

Hello!

I'm planning to buy a tuba in the next 2-3 years in around the 2k range. I want either a 4/4 BBb or CC and if the time comes, a 5/4 or 6/4 used. There are two major brands right now that are catching my attention.

The Schiller 4/4 BBb tuba : https://reverb.com/item/7077055-schille ... _BwE&pla=1" target="_blank

And the Mack brass tubas in general.(keeping an eye on that 4/4 CC)

Please let me know which one is better.
Also, which tuba is better chinese-made? BBb or CC?

Thanks!
-Raghul :tuba:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Chinese Tubas

Post by TheTuba »

let me rephrase the BBb CC question.

Which tuba type is better made in china? CC or BBb?
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

I can't really say that a key of tuba is better made in China than another... some models hold a better reputation, but that is independent of key. That schiller is a model that many have been happy with (same as the Mack 210) and the 410/miraclone is a great horn.

The biggest difference when buying a Chinese horn is who you buy it from, not the key or model... I have had great experiences with Wessex and with Mack brass (never purchased from Mack personally, but have spoken to Tom on multiple occasions and have sent many people and students his way). Tom is a tuba player, checks and fixes things when they come in, and has amazing customer service. Honestly, I would personally buy his version of that schiller, even though it would cost another $100) as he will help you out whenever you have an issue and not just during the first week or so. Plus, he has the best return policy out there. Plus, if Tom sells it, then it is going to be a good model from China. Wessex also has reliable models, as does John Packer and anything Baltimore Brass, Dillon Music, or the Horn Guys bring in. All six of those are people of trust.

My opinion, and YMMV, but I also recommend people look at who they are buying from when dealing with Chinese horns, and not the key or necessarily model.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Mark Finley wrote:....Depends on your future plans
Two years from now...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
griffinwilson
bugler
bugler

Post by griffinwilson »

One of my friends at the university of Louisville recently purchased a Miraphone 186 copy from Mack brass, and he has absolutely no complaints. I've played on it a few times and it has great response, but personally I think it is a little hard to make the horn speak at a fortissimo like a real miraphone does, but for the price, it's hard to beat.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

My opinion -- wait for 2 or 3 years, and then check the temperature again. Chinese tuba development can move at a fast pace, and 2 or 3 years makes a lot of difference (as compared to something like a Miraphone 186, which is just not going to change in the next 2 or 3 years).

For example, Wessex is constantly making improvements and announcing new changes and new models, at a very fast pace. Compare their "186-style tuba" of today to one from a few years ago. I understand that the valve linkages are more solid now, the z-valves are used, etc. I'm not saying that the older models are "bad," but if you keep being told that the new ones are "better" or have fixed previous issues... why would I want to buy or try an older one? Or rather, if you want to know what a Chinese tuba is like 2 or 3 years from now... you'll have to wait and ask about that 2 or 3 years from now.

Also, if you're looking at 2 or 3 years, start a savings plan to put aside some money and work towards that goal. If you can set aside $20 per week, every week, for 2 years, then you will have over $2,000 just like that. If saving towards a tuba is a priority, then this should be fairly easy and rewarding to see your "tuba fund" grow like this. Just put the money in the bank, not in your sock drawer! :)
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

So far, I have decided to get the MACK brass tuba.

Now, my school rents me a BBb tuba every year, so getting another one is pointless. However, AFTER HS, I might join a orchestra or a college band. For that, is 4/4 CC tuba or a BBb tuba better?

Thanks!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

What tuba should I get if I'm double-majoring?

(yes I have big goals in life)

Thanks!
-Raghul
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

I got this guys. Wait and see what your teacher in college suggest. They will help you find what you need.
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

Voisi1ev wrote:I got this guys. Wait and see what your teacher in college suggest. They will help you find what you need.
This. At your age/skill level, this kind of purchase is best undertaken with professional advice.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

Maybe a chinese Moog instead?
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Right now, Bell high school and Central have 4/4 BBb miraphones.

Call me inpatient, but I don't know yet if I am doing a double major. If the opportunity, finances, and workload work out, I will definitely do it. Right now i'm in 9th, so in 2-3 years, i'll be close college anyway. I just want a broad idea if prof. want CC or BBb tubas in college.

Thanks!
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

If you keep your eyes open and save your money... you can buy a good used name brand tuba.

I currently have three refurbished B & S/VMI BBb rotary tubas here within your budget that will run circles around the Chinese horns you mentioned.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

If you want to go to college for music, then ask college professors what their advice is regarding buying a tuba. I have never personally seen a studio professor recommend a BBb tuba, usually only CC. During my undergrad, which was a very high quality competitive program, a student coming in with a Chinese horn would generally get rid of it and buy a German horn within their first year. I'm not saying that there are not any genuinely good Chinese tubas out there, but ordering a brand new mack brass horn from china sounds like a fast track to receiving a ruined tuba. If you intend to take tuba playing seriously as a career choice, then consider a high quality used horn. I know many people that have bought old Miraphone 186s for at or less than $3,000. I also bought my 181 F tuba for not too much over that price. If your high school lends tubas, then keep playing on those horns until your budget raises up to that of a quality horn.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NCSUSousa »

Dan Schultz wrote:If you keep your eyes open and save your money... you can buy a good used name brand tuba.

I currently have three refurbished B & S/VMI BBb rotary tubas here within your budget that will run circles around the Chinese horns you mentioned.
THIS! The VMI BBb is a great tuba, far better than any Chinese made tuba I've ever put my hands on.
I'm glad I have my tuba, but if I could trade right now for one of those, I would.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings