F Tuba Mouthpiece for Wessex Berg

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubamax7
bugler
bugler

F Tuba Mouthpiece for Wessex Berg

Post by Tubamax7 »

I know this thread is probably on here already, but I figured i'd go ahead and get fresh opinions. I recently bought the horn. I think the mouthpiece that came with it is ok, but I wanted to know what other people play on their F, and specifically from anyone with a Berg. Thanks!
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia- HB Chapter
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: F Tuba Mouthpiece for Wessex Berg

Post by bort »

It's been years since I've played much F tuba, but I liked both the PT-65 and the Baer MMVI F mouthpieces. I actually really liked the sound from the PT-65, but on the F tuba I had (a small Cerveny), the intonation was kind of wild with the 65, and better with the MMVI.
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ppalan »

Hi,
I have a Wessex Berg. I'm still experimenting but the I've had good results with these (not in any particular order):
1. Blokepiece Imperial (older 2-piece version, Helleberg Modified 33.2 rim)
2. Blokepiece Solo (the one with a beer mug, Solo #2 Shank, Helleberg Modified 33.2 rim)
3. Miraphone TU 27 "Rose Solo"
I like each of them and now have to pick one and play on it regularly for a while in various situations. The Rose Solo, for me is very good in the upper register. It is just a tad smaller inner rim diameter (33.0) than the others. The Imperial seems to help me produce a "fatter" sound than the Rose. The Solo feels very similar, to me, to the Rose. As I said I like aspects of each. Hope this helps point you towards one that works for you.
Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

I don't own a Berg, but on my 181 I use a Parker 3 Piece with a 32mm H-Kote rim, and the cantabile cup and shank. I used to use a yamaha bobo solo, but switched to a little larger mp in order to help me project notes in the crap range of the horn. If I were you I would call up bloke about his mouthpieces as i'm sure he can help you find a good setup.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

My go to F tuba mouthpiece is a PT65, and it works great on my Berg
pjdicris
bugler
bugler

Post by pjdicris »

Sellmansberger Solo with the #2 Shank (American). I like the Perantucci 88 style rim
Miraphone 188
Wessex Berg
M.O. 33P
Sellmansberger Solo and Symphony (3 piece)