Playing Low Etudes on the "wrong" tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Playing Low Etudes on the "wrong" tuba

Post by Sam Gnagey »

In a fit of irrational behavior I pulled the Snedecor etude book out of my files this morning and picked up my Wessex E-flat. It became quite an epiphany! As things started to fall into place with fingerings and finding the slots of seldom played notes, I discovered that it is relatively as easy if not easier to get around on these etudes on a 5-valve E-flat bass tuba than it is on a contrabass CC or BBb. I encourage any of you who have 5-valve E-flats or 4-valve compensators to have at the Snedecor book. You'll soon realize why Bobo said he'd choose an Eb tuba if given only one key of instrument to play. My E-flat tuba seemed to retain its nimble characteristics and with the 5th valve there were lots of alternate fingerings that facilitate some of the technical and pitch issues of playing in that register. FWIW
Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Re: Playing Low Etudes on the "wrong" tuba

Post by Tubaguyry »

I've found the same to be true of my BMB F. I can play low stuff MUCH much more easily and better-sounding on this horn than I ever could on my Miraphone 188. (And the Snedecor etudes were pretty much unplayable on my previous 6-valve F.)
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

Big Mouth Brass J-445LQ F
JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb
1964 Olds O-97 BBb sousaphone

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

Post by eeflattuba »

I have been playing the snedecor on my besson sovereign 981 ee flat for years.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Toby Hanks used to make me play the Ride and Prokofiev on the F tuba. Definitely got my low fingerings together.
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

I find practicing low and high etudes/solos/excerpts on both bass and contrabass tubas to be super helpful. I have also discovered that it’s really hard to keep my playing at a “decent” level on both types of tubas. For me, it seems that by practicing both types of tubas, it helps to identify different fundamental problems in my playing to work on.
Snedecor #5 practice:
JP 3+1 EEb
https://youtu.be/QwHYsFZ6q1g" target="_blank
Conn 25J
https://youtu.be/MD0QNrscRYw" target="_blank
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ppalan »

bloke wrote:Players who own/use both bass and contrabass tubas are well-served to FIRST consider themselves to be bass tuba players.
Bloke, I'm relatively new to the bass tuba world. (certainly in comparison to your experience) What is your thinking for this? ...not disagreeing, just curious.
Thanks,
Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

I agree with bloke and even more so for new bass tuba players. learn to play everything on Bass tuba, as if you were in a German orchestra. Your contra bass playing will not suffer. Although I am :old school" about quintet playing and "loves my cc's" I do practice the material on F.
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

I see practicing in all registers on all my instruments as a necessary part of honing my skills. And my skills always need honing.

During recording sessions, regardless of the material (at least up until now), the sound engineers have always chosen the bass tuba (in my case). I am (almost) certain that this has little to do with my abilities and everything to do with their reasoning; a bass tuba is clearer on all fronts. A sound engineer wants the clearest sound possible to do their job. If they then want more presence, weight, bass or whatever they'll do that in the mix.

Not very flattering but that's not what it's about.

Assuming that a contrabass tuba is the right tool for the jog is something we often do as tuba players, but not necessarily the best choice.
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

ppalan wrote:
bloke wrote:Players who own/use both bass and contrabass tubas are well-served to FIRST consider themselves to be bass tuba players.
Bloke, I'm relatively new to the bass tuba world. (certainly in comparison to your experience) What is your thinking for this? ...not disagreeing, just curious.
Thanks,
Pete
One of the most respected tubists in the world recommends bass tuba practice to develop and maintain a focused buzz and efficiency. People would be shocked to know he considers himself a bass tuba player first. Once again Bloke is not only on the right track but correct as usual.