Mouthpiece recommendations

The bulk of the musical talk
Jkidd1027
lurker
lurker

Mouthpiece recommendations

Post by Jkidd1027 »

I currently play a PT-50 on a King 2341s. I’m preparing movement one of the Gregson Tuba Concerto for a solo competition. Most of the song I have no problem getting all the notes out, but around the extreme highs in rehearsal marking 8 I’m having trouble with those notes. Any recommendations as far as a mouthpiece that will make those notes (C,D,E above the staff) speak more clearly? Thanks.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Mouthpiece recommendations

Post by Donn »

If you aren't getting adequate advice on this from a teacher, you might do well to contact Doug Elliott and see if you can get him to look at what you're doing. I've never done it, but apparently it can be done online, he knows as much as anyone about embouchures and mouthpieces, and you can't get good advice any other way than from someone who can work directly with you. http://dougelliottmouthpieces.com/doug.html
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Your PT-50 is a deep mpc designed for contrabass tubas. What you need is something shallower and more bowl cup. Maybe try a PT-65, Schilke 69c4, or something similar. Since mouthpieces are so personal, you will just have to try some out to see what works best :idea:
DrunkenNinja
lurker
lurker

Post by DrunkenNinja »

Hey I have the exact same equipment and is also working on the same piece! I have found out that the PT-50 works better with rested lips to produce good tone quality and articulation (and is easier to hit the notes), but after an hour or two of playing high, the high D and E above the staff are troublesome to hit. The Conn Helleberg is a standard, but good mouthpiece to hit these notes for extended practice sessions. But you will just have to find out what works for you.
Mark

Post by Mark »

1) How long before the competition? Changing mouthpieces right before a competition would not be a good idea.

2) The PT-50 is a very large mouthpiece and is not appropriate for most people. Do you have a private tuba teacher? You should discuss the selection of a mouthpiece with your teacher.

3) Even thought the mouthpiece is probably too large for you, the problem is not the mouthpiece. You need to work on your high register playing.

4) Five octaves, up to a G, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkjKrOP515s. It is not the equipment. (Although, I'm pretty sure the mouthpiece Chris is using is not a large as a PT-50.)

5) To play the high E in this movement with confidence, you should be comfortable playing 3 to 4 whole steps above that high E.
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

I heartily endorse Donn's recommendation a ways above. If you don't have a teacher who can help you with this in a lesson or two, do consider a Skype or in person lesson with Doug Elliott. A few years ago when I was playing trumpet (no longer playing due to medical issues which prohibit the higher pressure of trumpet, but not playing tuba) I took three lessons with a student of Doug's, Dave Wilken in Cullowhee, NC. Dave was able to pinpoint what I was doing wrong in one lesson and in three lessons he showed me what to do with my embouchure placement and embouchure motion ("pivot") in order to play easily all over the horn's range. It wasn't a matter of laborious practice, but of being shown the proper technique. Since I've taken up tuba, I've applied the same principles on my own to the tuba embouchure with pretty good results considering I don't play a lot and haven't taken any more lessons. I find that the proper placement and embouchure motion are critical all over the horn, but especially in the high register. When I have trouble I have to ask myself if my motion is right and when I figure out what I'm doing wrong, the high register responds. I'm still figuring out which note goes exactly where in the motion, but it is not that difficult, it's just a matter of concentrating and getting the movements to be automatic. It should be pretty easy for someone who knows the principles well, like Doug or Dave, to help you with upper register problems. While a different mouthpiece might make things easier, trust me, it is not the mpc, it is the technique. Also, Doug, in addition to being one of the main heirs of Doc Reinhardt's teaching tradition, is a master mouthpiece maker. If you do need something different, he can make it for you. It would be a little more expensive than an off the shelf piece, but it would be the RIGHT piece.

It's on my list of things to do to go see Doug for a lesson and mouthpiece fitting. I'm about ten hours from him, but I will spring for a few hours of lessons over a couple of days and a new mpc from Doug as soon as I can get my finances in order after my trip to Italy this spring.
royjohn
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

Some good mouthpiece advice here.
Please though, the Gregson is a PIECE, not a Song!
Peach
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Would "ditty" work?