Heisner - I have it

The bulk of the musical talk
Scott Linden
lurker
lurker

Heisner - I have it

Post by Scott Linden »

Greetings, especially to Tony Clements my old friend.

You are right - I still have that Heisner of Roger's ... dusted it off just a few days ago to take pictures. When it rains it pours, a friend of a friend is interested in restoring it. When I bought it from Roger, he told me it was the instrument used in the original Disney recording of Tubby the Tuba. Being all of 16 years old, I believed him and recent information seems to confirm it. It was about 100 years old, he said, back in the early 70's.

The story of how I got it is also worth a moment: I was a pretty good high school player, blatting away on my BBb Mirafone recording bass and working hard toward a music scholarship. I got it, to UOP's conservatory. But the consensus from everyone, including my teacher Tommy Johnson, was I needed to switch to a CC tuba. He talked it around, as did my high school band director Gene Sherry, who also did a little bit of session work in Hollywood. They all ganged up on Roger and urged him to sell me a horn and he dug that Heisner out of the closet and summoned me to his home high on a hill over Hollywood where I took delivery.

Tony, I hope you'll reach out via a private message so we can re-connect.

Best,
Scott