Mouthpiece upgrade

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Mouthpiece upgrade

Post by TheTuba »

Hello,

I have a Bach 18 at the moment. While I like the bowl shape, I never played on a really "funnel" like shape. My first mouthpiece was a Conn 7B, so I have some experience with the funnel.

- I want the mouthpiece to have the same design as the 7B
-I want it to have a Deeper cup
-I want it to have a narrower rim
-Also, a bigger diameter
- Heavier than the Conn
-Finally, I want it to not have that "bite" of the conn, but rather be comfortable like the Bach's.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Raghul :tuba:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
SenkerSwim
lurker
lurker

Re: Mouthpiece upgrade

Post by SenkerSwim »

I'd suggest either a:
Denis Wick Heritage 1L: Its a funnel cup, has a bigger diameter, the rim is narrow but I personally don't find it uncomfortable. (my mouthpiece of choice at the moment)
or
Schilke HB-II: I don't have too much experience with it but from my knowledge it fits most of the characteristics you're looking for.
or
Conn helleberg 120: I know it doesn't fit some of the characteristics you're looking for... HOWEVER it is truly a great mouthpiece and for the money you really can't beat it. I know many people who have exclusively used the Conn helleberg and have been very successful.

OR
You could contact Mr. Bloke and get a mouthpiece perfect for you however; I know not everyone has that cash to spend.

Side note: before you go searching and spending tons of money to find "the holy grail" tuba mouthpiece, you have to realize there is no such thing as a perfect mouthpiece. A mouthpiece is nothing but a tool (you have to use the right tool for the job) but you are the craftsman to use the tool.

Happy searching!

James Senker
Kalison Daryl Smith CC, Denis Wick 1L
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Well...The holy grail mouthpiece is a Laskey 30H. But it doesn't have the cushy rim you're looking for. Not a knock against the Laskey, maybe you're just not ready for perfection yet. :tuba:
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

TheTuba wrote:- I want the mouthpiece to have the same design as the 7B
I've made the claim here once or twice, that the only design like the Conn 7B would have to have been some other Conn mouthpiece or straight copy thereof, because everyone else rounds out the cup more. I haven't had my hands on every mouthpiece in the world, but I don't recall that anyone ever came forward with a contender. (Not counting Dr Young, as that's certainly a different design.) The mouthpieces I have, that are supposed to be "funnel shaped" or "Helleberg" style, are all more rounded - Denis Wick 2L, Marcinkiewicz H series, Schilke-Helleberg - are more rounded. (And conversely, every Conn mouthpiece I have is more funnel shaped, even the trombone mouthpieces.)
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Might want to look at the Giddings & Webster Bayamo. If that cup is deeper than you want, the Caver has the same rim but is a bit shallower. Both are available in standard as well as heavy weights, as well as American and Euro shanks.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop