What Was Your FIRST Horn/Mouthpiece Combo? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: What Was Your FIRST Horn/Mouthpiece Combo?

Postby MikeS » Thu May 10, 2018 5:40 pm

In fifth grade I started on a three-valve Olds Ambassador baritone with a Bach 11 mouthpiece. I still have the mouthpiece. The horn could still be in service somewhere. The Ambassadors were pretty decent players and built like tanks.
MikeS
bugler
bugler

Postby big_blue_tubist » Fri May 11, 2018 8:59 am

I played what I was issued in 6th grade- a YBB103 plus Bach 18 mouthpiece. Didn't change my setup until they handed me something else in High School (King 1140 + 24AW (eww)).
King 2341
G&W Alan Baer Signature
big_blue_tubist
bugler
bugler

Postby obreitys » Fri May 11, 2018 11:11 am

When I switched to tuba in 10th grade, I just started out with what I was given. The school had a fleet of Yamaha YBB-321’s. Man, those are solid players! I still like those horns to this day. I believe(?) I used a 24AW mouthpiece. I didn’t know too much about horns or mouthpieces back then, and I couldn’t afford to be picky; I was just glad to have a horn in fully functional condition!
obreitys
bugler
bugler

Postby Northernlb » Fri May 11, 2018 11:46 am

Started in 8th grade on a Conn 10J with a Bach 24 AW mouthpiece, no case for the tuba and it was beat pretty badly.
Dr. Jason Bouchard
Northern Low Brass
http://northernlowbrass.webs.com/
Robert Tucci Mouthpiece Dealer
Northernlb
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Fergie » Sat May 12, 2018 11:57 pm

I was handed a tiny Jupiter 3/4 when I made the switch Jr. year of high school. I was given a generic yamaha mouthpiece. Jupiter instruments are stuffy and raspy as they come. This one was particularly hard to make a characteristic sound. Glad I finally moved on to a pro horn
Dvorak probably wrote the the fourteen notes in New World Symphony to get his tuba friends a gig.
Fergie
bugler
bugler

Previous

Return to TubeNet