What Was Your FIRST Horn/Mouthpiece Combo?

The bulk of the musical talk
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: What Was Your FIRST Horn/Mouthpiece Combo?

Post by Three Valves »

We were the first class enrolled at our brand new middle school and it was chock full of new stuff. (1973)

I didn't know the make of the sousaphone or mouthpiece then, I didn't care!!

Upon reflection they seemed to be King fiberglass sousaphones, in a Wenger chair and a Bach 24AW.

This lasted until High School. (77-80) There I had a Conn 20J (We called her Betty) for concert band. I preferred the funnel shaped Conn#2 mouthpiece to the Bach 18s we had. That was what we got. It never occurred to me to buy my own mouthpiece or tuba. We did get two shiny new concert tubas. I don't know their make but they had thin metal and made a tinny sound that I didn't like.

I was really into band. I took up the upright bass along with tuba in 5th grade, but stopped after 9th grade. The orchestra didn't travel or do half time shows!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

When I was upgraded to tuba, I played a 38K with a Conn 2 mouthpiece. A year later, they purchased a Meil Weston 25 which had a bach 18 mouthpiece. When I purchased my first horn, I used a herco small shank on a 1912 Martin Eb. The herco was about the size of a Denis Wick 3.
Last edited by opus37 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
adsteve
bugler
bugler

Post by adsteve »

EDIT: I didn't read the thread! My first horn I ever played was an old E flat tuba my grade school owned. For the life of me I don't remember what brand it was, but I know it was small and silver. I had a Bach 24AW that I paired with it. After a few months, the school bought a little 3/4 Yamaha, 3 valve, front piston, BB-flat tuba.

My first horn I OWNED was a Yamaha YCB 661 piggy horn with the left handed 5th valve. If I'm not mistaken, I bought a PT-88 and that was what I used the entire time I used the horn. Great little horn and I wish I hadn't "upgraded." I was convinced to go to a PT-20 rotary horn. Immediate buyers remorse.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

My first horn was a school-owned instrument and mouthpiece. It was just a little 3-valve something or other. I have no idea what the mouthpiece was.

In high school I bought a Conn Helleberg because someone told me they were good mouthpieces. I used that one all through high school in marching and concert band. In high school I discovered a 5-valve Miraphone 186 BBb in the back room and convinced my director to let me use it.

During my first year or two of college I had bought a second Helleberg (gold plated this time!) and used my original as my marching band/spare mouthpiece. I used that gold plated Helleberg on the school Kalison DS, and then on the tuba I purchased for myself: a Mirafone 186 CC with 4 valves.

I still have both those Hellebergs, but have gone through several horns since.
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

The first horn that my elementary school handed me was an older Yamaha YBB105 and whatever mouthpiece was in the case.

In high school I happened to be there when they got a brand new round of silver King 2341s which we used Helleberg style mouthpieces(maybe conn, don't remember).

Marching band we were equipped with a fleet of silver king sousaphones. Summers of bleeding shoulder made me quite jealous of schools with fiberglass horns.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

YBB 103/ Helleberg
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I think it was an Olds 99... but what I remember most was that the 1st valve stem had snapped off some time in the past, and there were no funds for repairs... so I had to hold the valve stem in place in order to play it. Kind of a miracle that I stuck with it. I guess it was either that, or the trombone with a major dent/hangup around 4th position (or the one with the same thing at 1st position). What a wreck.

Shortly after I knew I liked playing tuba, I bought a Bach Megatone 18 -- the description sounded pretty good to me, it was for all around playing, and I liked "sonorous" (whatever that meant! :P). I used that mouthpiece through college and for a few years beyond. It's no longer my favorite, but it's still "home" for me.
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

Silver Yamaha 201 3 valve BBb tuba with a Vincent Bach 18 mouthpiece.

The school was brand new and we were the first to use the instruments and the mouthpiece recommendations were either Bach 18 or Yamaha 67C4.

Mom and dad decided to get the Bach 18.
Last edited by Billy M. on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
Bill B
bugler
bugler

Post by Bill B »

My first tuba in 7th grade was a large Martin 3 valve rotary BBb that I used a Conn "EZ Tone" mouthpiece on. After that, it was a Conn 20J with a Conn 2 mouthpiece. When I purchased my first tuba in high school, it was a Miraphone 186 BBb that came with a C4 mouthpiece.
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

Started playing age 12 on a BH 3 valve Imperial Eb. I think it came with a Kosi Cup I bought my own mouthpiece a Denis Wick 5 not long afterwards.
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
KingBassTrombone
bugler
bugler

Post by KingBassTrombone »

The first time I played tuba was as a senior in high school, filling in the bass role in pep band for one game.

That horn/mouthpiece combo was a King 2350 sousaphone with a Conn "S" Eb tuba mouthpiece, shank wrapped in duct tape to fit. It worked better than one may think.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Cuesnon Eb with Schilke 60 bass trombone mouthpiece.

Ace
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I really have no idea....I took the music ed brass class in college, and had a three upright valve "baritone" with whatever mouthpiece they gave me. I didn't get more serious about euph until 25 years later.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

The group what put up my infantile tubaistic flounderings at ripe old age of 35 has a Miraphone (184?) with 4 rotary valves and a yamaha 67c4 that i used prinarily for the first yearish. They also had a ybb-321 with both a Conn 2 and a Bach 18. Occasionally for one reason or other i would play the Yamaha with the Conn and think "so much easier to get notes!" I don't care to admit how long it took me to finally try the Conn 2 with the Miraphone and realize it was the mouthpiece that was easy to sound, not the tuba.

First owned? I got me a craigslist Hüttl sousaphone sans neck. A local repair shop sifted through a nbin of sousaphone parts and came up with an Olds neck and worked it to fit. I was grateful enough to purchase a Bach 18 from them as well. The misleading question is which cast more: sousaphone? or neck and mouthpiece? The answer being the tax was the difference...

So much easier to answer the first pair than what i use now, as i kinda waffle around a whole bunch...
Thanks for playing!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I could tell that was 1978 just by the hair!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Post by tubapix »

First horn in middle school was a school owned BBb sousaphone (I think it was a Conn) with a Conn 2 mouthpiece. Not the right mouthpiece but I still have it. My next horn was a Reynolds BBb sousaphone (new in mid 70's) same mouthpiece. High school band director bought me a 24AW and I played that on the Reynolds and the Conn 20J's that we had. When the silver plate wore off I bought a Bach 18 and that really opened up the horns. The first horn I personally owned was an old Besson Bell-front 3 valve compensator I bought for $300 and used the Bach 18. This horn ended up at a local middle school where it was promptly run over by a truck. The next horn I purchased was a new Yamaha YBB641 for $3095. Purchased it in '88 or '89 and I still use it today with a Miraphone Rose Orchestra mouthpiece.
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
tmmcas1
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tmmcas1 »

Yamaha 103 BBb tuba with a Yamaha 66 mouthpiece. I switched to a Rudy Muck mouthpiece about 6 months later.
Tom McCaslin
Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra
Yamaha Performing Artist
www.tomtuba.com
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

A horribly abused school-owned Miraphone 186 recording bell horn with a Bach 18. Some idiots decided to polish the lacquered horn with Brasso a year or two before I started band. What was left of the lacquer had turned green and loosened from the brass on most of the horn; that is, what had not already flaked off.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

the elephant wrote: Okay, I just found a small section of our full band photo from 1978 (about 150 kids) and I am the goober in the Red Circle of Death, DOC in hand, thinking I am cool. I am pretty sure these are not 3+1 but simply 3 banger compensators. I really liked them a lot when I was in college. However, for some reason none of the tuba players in that band did well as tuba players. However, four of the trumpeters in that photo detail were Texas All-State tuba players in later years, and two of us play for a living now. Go figure.

You look good with a trumpet in your hands!

Me? King 1140 and Helleberg. I decided I wanted to play the tuba after playing trumpet and french horn for many, many years so I bought something cheap, had some repairs done and played.
TubaGuy304
lurker
lurker

Post by TubaGuy304 »

I had whatever my school could provide. A Jupiter JTU700, and an old Yamaha mouthpiece, model number worn out from abuse.
Mirafone TE-186A CC
B&S 3100WG "JBL Classic"

South Portland, ME
University of Maine, Music Performance & Music Education (instrumental)