What Was Your FIRST Horn/Mouthpiece Combo? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: What Was Your FIRST Horn/Mouthpiece Combo?

Postby tubapix » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:40 am

First horn in middle school was a school owned BBb sousaphone (I think it was a Conn) with a Conn 2 mouthpiece. Not the right mouthpiece but I still have it. My next horn was a Reynolds BBb sousaphone (new in mid 70's) same mouthpiece. High school band director bought me a 24AW and I played that on the Reynolds and the Conn 20J's that we had. When the silver plate wore off I bought a Bach 18 and that really opened up the horns. The first horn I personally owned was an old Besson Bell-front 3 valve compensator I bought for $300 and used the Bach 18. This horn ended up at a local middle school where it was promptly run over by a truck. The next horn I purchased was a new Yamaha YBB641 for $3095. Purchased it in '88 or '89 and I still use it today with a Miraphone Rose Orchestra mouthpiece.
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Postby pauvog1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Musica 186 copy, and a helleburg 7b. The 7b was quickly replaced with a Denis Wick 3L. The Musica replaced with a real 186.
Kalison DS
B&S PT-18p (MRP F)

FS: Stofer Geib, Euro shank viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88053
pauvog1
4 valves
4 valves

Postby tmmcas1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Yamaha 103 BBb tuba with a Yamaha 66 mouthpiece. I switched to a Rudy Muck mouthpiece about 6 months later.
Tom McCaslin
Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra
Yamaha Performing Artist
Denis Wick/DANSR Artist
http://www.tommccaslin.com
http://www.calgaryphil.com
tmmcas1
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:13 pm

probably an ugly/brown/dusty Conn 14K with an Astro nylon cup mouthpiece with masking tape (epic leak) between the cup and shank.
I had a five minute lesson from a (very bad) 11th-grade baritone player (play F...play Bb, etc.), and then was stuck out in the class to play though the entire Book II of the Belwin Band Builder in 25 minutes (switching from trumpet). When I would stop playing from exhaustion, my band director would holler back to me, "SON, we're doing all of this JUST for YOU !" :P

...and he didn't cut me any slack. My grades on playing tests dropped that week from 100's to 85's or so, and only crept back up over two or three weeks.

-------------------------------------------------------------
The trumpet had been a brown Olds Ambassador with the tan plastic case with sliding-rod latches...and a Peak (brand) 7C mouthpiece that was epically (for the value of money at that time) overpriced at $5.
Here: Be famous, and own what bloke owned: :|
https://www.ebay.com/i/391211010858
-------------------------------------------------------------

bloke "I just didn't want to have to ask my Dad to rent or buy my a trumpet...I didn't know that was part of the 'deal' of being in the band, and (the way I looked at it) even 'playing the tuba' was better than 'asking my Dad to spend money on me'."
Last edited by bloke on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby SteveP » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:20 pm

York sousaphone (dunno what model) and an unmarked mouthpiece handed to me by my junior high school beginning winds teacher back in 1959. I think I still have the mouthpiece around somewhere.
Steve P
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra
SteveP
bugler
bugler

Postby GC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:23 am

A horribly abused school-owned Miraphone 186 recording bell horn with a Bach 18. Some idiots decided to polish the lacquered horn with Brasso a year or two before I started band. What was left of the lacquer had turned green and loosened from the brass on most of the horn; that is, what had not already flaked off.
1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb; Denis Wick 3CC, 2CC; Bach 42B trombone; Ibanez SR-506 6-string bass, MarkBass 102P combo bass amp
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Postby The Big Ben » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:25 pm

the elephant wrote:Okay, I just found a small section of our full band photo from 1978 (about 150 kids) and I am the goober in the Red Circle of Death, DOC in hand, thinking I am cool. I am pretty sure these are not 3+1 but simply 3 banger compensators. I really liked them a lot when I was in college. However, for some reason none of the tuba players in that band did well as tuba players. However, four of the trumpeters in that photo detail were Texas All-State tuba players in later years, and two of us play for a living now. Go figure.

You look good with a trumpet in your hands!

Me? King 1140 and Helleberg. I decided I wanted to play the tuba after playing trumpet and french horn for many, many years so I bought something cheap, had some repairs done and played.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby TubaGuy304 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:33 pm

I had whatever my school could provide. A Jupiter JTU700, and an old Yamaha mouthpiece, model number worn out from abuse.
Miraphone TE-186 CC

“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
― Aldous Huxley, Music at Night and Other Essays
TubaGuy304
lurker
lurker

Postby TubaGuy304 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:33 pm

I had whatever my school could provide. A Jupiter JTU700, and an old Yamaha mouthpiece, model number worn out from abuse.
Miraphone TE-186 CC

“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
― Aldous Huxley, Music at Night and Other Essays
TubaGuy304
lurker
lurker

Postby Rick Denney » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:06 pm

I played a King sousaphone with a Bach 24AW, starting in the 7th Grade. The mouthpiece was a poor choice, but that was the choice we made. There was no analysis whatsoever. The "cushion rim" was the selling point, as I recall. I played that or another King sousaphone through high school, but my hand director had buddies at Rice University (he played in the MOB) and borrowed a 186 for me to play in the spring semester of my senior year. I did not appreciate what that gave me at the time. When I played in the Houston All-City Band, I used a three-valve Besson that was lying around the rehearsal space at Houston's HSPVA. But flooding rains truncated the concert and I didn't join that group the following year. That combination of Besson and Bach didn't change in college, or even in the first year of my return to playing after college. So, I didn't think about a proper mouthpiece (or tuba) until I was 26.

Rick "thinking kids that play Bach 18's or Conn Hellebergs learn their fundamentals better" Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Postby bone-a-phone » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 pm

I've got 40 years of trombone playing behind me, but I've just started with the tuba. I'm playing a Wessex Bombino with the mouthpiece that came with it, marked Wessex Mt Vernon. The best thing that has come from my tuba playing to this point is that it has greatly improved my bass bone playing. The shift from Bb to Eb is going as well as you could expect, and its only slowing me down slightly more than the switch from slide to valves. I'm enjoying the tuba, and when I can string all the notes together evenly and in time, I think I'll enjoy it even more.
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Postby Leland » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:03 pm

I think it was a fiberglass sousaphone and a Bach 18. Borrowed it from the local high school to try playing in the quintet at church. We soon swapped it for a Yamaha 201 from the same school.

At about the same time, I started marching contrabass bugle in my second year of drum corps (the first year was on baritone, my first valved instrument).

My first-first horn-and-mouthpiece combo, though, was my uncle's Olds trombone with a Bach 18c mouthpiece.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Postby iiipopes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:00 am

9th grade: volunteered to play souzy - a first generation King 'glass with it's original #25 mouthpiece. It was already old when I got it checked out to me, but by the end of the season it was the best looking and best playing souzy in school. I played it all four years.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby bigboymusic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:51 pm

from 4th grade through 8th played a plastic King Sousaphone with King 26 MP. Then got to play a brand new (1985) YBB 321 with a gold Conn Helleberg. Within a week of unpacking the 321, I set it half way on the back riser where we sat, and the horn pitched back and gave that outside bow the lovely dent that I see almost all 321's have...... MY first horn was a MW25 my sophomore year with a Marcinkewicz (sp?) Tommy Johnson model MP. I always thought the horn played sharp since the tuning slide sat almost all the way out until my first true tuba teacher switched me to a Schilke H, and that solved the sharp problem...
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
YEB 321S
Various BBb's till I find my soul mate
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Postby WC8KCY » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:53 am

Good Lord...the first tuba I got to play in Grade 7 was a Getzen Elkhorn sousaphone with several crude solder repairs on the kinked gooseneck and red-rotted leadpipe, along with corroded valves that made a grinding noise when depressed. Two of the tuning slides had splits in the crooks that were patched up with white adhesive tape. The mouthpiece was a New York Bach 18 with almost all of the silver plating gone.

Looking back, I have to wonder if my band director was trying to sabotage my switch to tuba in the hopes that I'd go back to playing the bass clarinet.

Every now and then, I do an eBay search for "Getzen sousaphone". None have ever turned up. I hope all of these utterly damnable instruments have been retired by now.
King 1165 "Artist" baritone - Yamaha YEP-321S euphonium
'29 Holton Monster E-flat tuba - '37 Martin Indiana E-flat sousaphone
WC8KCY
bugler
bugler

Postby jacobthompson1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:57 pm

A Yamaha YBB-201 with some old beat up Yamaha mouthpiece.
Jacob Thompson
Meinl Weston 2011FA 'HoJo' BBb
GW Szentpali, GW Baer MMVI, PT-50, Schilke Helleberg
jacobthompson1
lurker
lurker

Postby Tom Coffey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:58 am

Ancient school-owned Besson sousaphone (with no bell for the first year) and a well used, school-owned King 26 mouthpiece. Fifth grade band, with the Belwin First Division Band Method, which pictures of Bill Bell in the front demonstrating how to hold a tuba and a sousaphone. Eventually, the band director brought the bell, too, and after fifth grade, that Besson "lived" at home, and I used the school's sousaphones at school. In high school, we had 3 valve King recording bass tubas, which were Eastlake orange and played very well. We got a Meinl Weston Model 11 later.
Tom Coffey
3 valves
3 valves

Postby tclements » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:51 am

Meinl Weston Bill Bell Model CC and I played the Helleberg style mouthpiece that came with it.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Donn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am

Tom Coffey wrote:Ancient school-owned Besson sousaphone (with no bell for the first year)

Egads. Were other 1st year players with school instruments required to play with with parts missing, or was that just for you?

I started at 30 years or so of age, with an Conn 2 mouthpiece and an Olds O-99 - 3 valves, one with a loose stem. A newspaper classified ads find - remember them? from an older guy who many local old-timers probably remember; he had a couple horribly battered 20Js, and the very battered Olds that seemed to have a more present sound. I'd been playing woodwinds, but no band until mid-20s. I look back on a miserable school owned clarinet as likely part of the reason why not, but at least it was essentially a complete instrument.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Voisi1ev » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Oh man, 2341 with a flat bell. Probably a King 18, I think I had a Helleberg by the time I graduated. Also an old Conn Sousaphone that I left at home to practice with and hide my cigarettes from the rents.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet