What Was Your FIRST Horn/Mouthpiece Combo? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: What Was Your FIRST Horn/Mouthpiece Combo?

Postby Stryk » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:57 pm

bloke wrote:The trumpet had been a brown Olds Ambassador with the tan plastic case with sliding-rod latches...

I have one of those in my garage!
Terry Stryker

Old, ugly horns that play really, really well.
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby fenne1ca » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Yamaha 321 4v BBb with a Bach 24AW, belonging to my high school program. Neither are equipment I would choose or recommend again, but they were enough to get me through many a band festival, and into a university studio.
Chris Fenner
Tubist, U.S. Army
Cerveny Piggy CC
Keefer Eb
fenne1ca
bugler
bugler

Postby capt_tuba » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:37 pm

King 1140 with a Bach 24A.
Tim Smith
Miraphone 1290
PT-66, 65
capt_tuba
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Stryk wrote:
bloke wrote:The trumpet had been a brown Olds Ambassador with the tan plastic case with sliding-rod latches...

I have one of those in my garage!

That's really cool...
I'm under the impression that quite a few people (due to the size of garages, likely) actually store bigger stuff than that in their garages.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby basslizard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:39 am

I was recruited to tuba in high school because I wanted to march. Oboes aren't terribly field friendly. I played a King 3/4 Bb convertible, no idea what model or mouthpiece. We put them on our shoulders to march, and in our laps for concerts. Got a brand new miraphone full sized concert tuba my senior year, but the new band director wouldn't let me play it. He finally let the only guy tuba player have it. We had a 13 year run of an all-girl tuba line until this guy who couldn't read music came along, but he sure could play. I only had to play the part once or twice before he could play it too. Luckily he had long hair. We insisted he wear his hair down under the green berets the tubas got to wear. He only marched parade season, so it was ok.
Old Ugly - a Jupiter JCP -384 tuba
Elkhart Conn 62H Bass Trombone
oboe
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Postby ckalaher1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:50 am

Yamaha 103 3v BBb with dried bubblegum on the leadpipe to plug a ridiculously large leak. When the old gum dried and cracked off, I'd put another huge chunk of gum on there and hope I didn't blow bubbles big enough to alert Rog, our band director who we feared/loved.

Still have the Yamaha 67C4 mouthpiece that I used on it.
ckalaher1
bugler
bugler

Postby Cdub » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:35 pm

A Hirsbrunner BBb with a Bach 18. It is what the school had to use. I started a bit later on the tuba (Sophomore in college).

My first non-tuba mouthpiece combo was an olds single horn in F with a holton mc mp.
Mack 410gb
On Wisconsin
Cdub
lurker
lurker

Postby wisekwai » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:24 pm

I volunteered to play tuba during my sophomore year of high school after years of sitting at third cornet.

The school's horns at the time were a pair of Conn white fiberglass sousaphones, which were used for marching, but there was also a sousaphone chair for concert settings.

In addition, there was a horribly mangled Reynolds or Olds 3-valve 3/4 BBb. It was so dented and crushed it resembled and played like a trash can. Unfortunately it had to be used more times than anyone ever cared to remember.

An interesting concert horn owned by the school was a 3-valve Olds or Reynolds recording bell BBb with a fiberglass body. It actually played very well and was the horn of choice to take to solo and ensemble competitions. During my time as tuba player, the fiberglass concert tuba was taken apart and sent to an auto body shop that specialized in Corvettes. They filled in cracks and gave it a gold paint job. I wonder occasionally if any of these fiberglass recording bell horns still exist today or have devotees.

For mouthpieces, there was a collection of Conn, Bach 24AW and Hellebergs that are probably still there.
Meinl Weston Eb
Gerhard Schneider (B&S stencil) BBb
PT-88 on both
John A. Logan College Community Band
Old Comrades German Band
TubaChristmas Carbondale
wisekwai
lurker
lurker

Postby Donn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:46 pm

wisekwai wrote:I wonder occasionally if any of these fiberglass recording bell horns still exist today or have devotees.

Fiberglass Reynolds Tuba
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Postby dmmorris » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:33 am

First , middle school, was a King sousaphone and a King mouthpiece. I had no idea what I was doing.

High school was King BBb 4-valve, straight bell and Bach 18. Great combo all through high school
beta 14??..........OK!

Mid 70's B&S Tuba, 6-valve, BBb
1921 Conn Helicon, 4-valve, BBb
dmmorris
3 valves
3 valves

Location: From far away as Jupiter sulfur mines, way down by the methane sea.

Postby vespa50sp » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:19 am

tuba.jpg
tuba.jpg (35.89 KiB) Viewed 592 times
I started on a fiberglass Sousa in 6th grade, with a Bach 18. The director asked me to play tuba because I was the biggest kid to try out for band (I clocked in at about 90 lbs) I sat in that horn on my bed when I practiced. I'm guessing it was about 1972.
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:25 pm

In sixth grade - Bach 24AW, Fiberglass commode-o-phone.

When I was a senior in high school, I bought a Rudy 3/4 CC and used a Miraphone Rose Orchestra.
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby TheTuba » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:32 pm

One of those generic 3 called Yama has with a 7B mouthpiece
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
TheTuba
bugler
bugler

Postby TheTuba » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:33 pm

*valved
*yamahas
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
TheTuba
bugler
bugler

Postby tubasoldier » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:31 pm

I was in 9th grade when my band teacher said he had too many trumpet players and needed one of us to play the tuba. I was the only one who raised my hand because I didn't see myself as a good trumpet player. I was destined to play the third part for as long as I could see. At least tuba I would be needed. I was given an old, very dented, extremely neglected, 3/4 sized Miraphone tuba. I think the mouthpiece was a 24AW?
tubasoldier
lurker
lurker

Postby Radar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:31 am

Holton Sousaphone with a Blessing 18 mouthpiece. First Tuba I owned personally was a Yamaha YBB-321 with the same Blessing 18.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H, and King 3B tenor
Radar
bugler
bugler

Postby PhilSloan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:22 pm

We were blessed with some great Miraphone 186 tubas and I started with a Bach 24 and moved fairly quickly to a Bach 18 that I played throughout high school. Like many others, I volunteered to switch to tuba in high school. My sophomore year our band director asked for a volunteer as THE main tuba player was graduating that year and the other tuba player was ... well, a non-player. I was destined to be in a never-ending contest for first chair in the trombone section with a friend and I loved playing low notes/ bass parts so I decided to make the move. I spent study hall periods learning fingerings on an old baritone and started my apprenticeship with the senior tuba player after marching season.
Rudy Meinl 3/4 CC
F Besson French C
Conn 88H Tenor
BAC Elliott Mason Tenor
Bach 50B Bass
PhilSloan
bugler
bugler

Postby KeyBoneSax » Thu May 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Just got my first tuba at age 64. Olds 99 with a Yamaha 67C4.
I can't get the pics small enough to post.
Pretty beat up.
Olds 99
KeyBoneSax
lurker
lurker

Postby circusboy » Thu May 10, 2018 5:33 pm

First horn was a Conn Director cornet with a 7b mouthpiece. Got it for 4th grade band.

When I was 27, I traded it in toward the purchase of my first tuba: York Eb Monster with three valves in satin silver. It had that odd, small shank receiver for which I was able to find an old York mouthpiece to fit.
circusboy
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Steve Marcus » Thu May 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Provided by the school that I attended was a disappointing Caravelle(?) tuba that was convertible from concert horn to marching tuba (extended leadpipe while holding horn on shoulder, much like DCI’s contras but nowhere as good a sound). Playing the school’s old 20K sousaphone was far superior. The mouthpiece was a Holton Galaxy which I still have (someone on TubeNet asked about buying one of these a few months ago...).

The first tuba that I owned was a 24J/25J. That was a fun horn, but I moved on to better instruments.
Steve Marcus
https://www.linkedin.com/in/steve-marcus-980315b/
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet