Tuba solo help

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Tuba solo help

Post by TheTuba »

So the solo i'm playing "Sonata in F major for tuba" or "Sonata no.1 in the six cello suites" is a pretty easy solo. However, in the 2nd movement (Allegro Maestro)(I don't have it with me at the moment) there's a really fast part that is basically a slur between a D and F (High "in" the staff) that goes really,really fast. I'm trying to practice it slow, but the slur is so weird that I can't get used to it. Any suggestions?

Also, are you allowed to make minor musical changes in the music (adding slurs, dynamics, and getting rid of other dynamics) without being "prosecuted" (couldn't find a better word) for doing so?
Thanks!
-Raghul :tuba:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
fourbass
bugler
bugler

Re: Tuba solo help

Post by fourbass »

1) Get a Buzz Aid from Wind Song Press.
2) Play the difficult passage very slowly and in tune with the buzz aid or on mouthpiece alone. Buzz with a piano to ensure proper pitch.
3) On the mouthpiece outline the passage by buzzing, siding, smearing on mouthpiece.
4) Practice singing the passage in tune with the piano.
5) Play the passage or parts of it at a time and hear your hard work pay off.
6) Repeat steps 1-5.

Good luck.
https://sites.google.com/site/beckertuba/home-1
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Cerveny "Piggy" CC
B&S Symphonie Model F
Bundy tenor trombone
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

I agree with fourbass's approach and add one additional detail: try shaping the syllables "ahh --> eeh" --> ahh" as you slur up and down in that range. (I suggest "oh" --> "ahh" --> "oh" in lower range.)
Bill
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

If you had been around the trombone or another instrument, where true legato in many situations leads to pure disaster, then you would have known the use of legato tonguing.

That approach has many phenotypes, some of which are not recommendable like using the glottis as an air valve. I prefer doing L-tonguing. It takes some practising to get it right, but I find it a worthwhile technique.

There may be a more simple solution for your actual problemuse, if you play BBb tuba: use the fingering 3 for D. If you play CC tuba use the fingering 4. (Disclaimer: I haven’t seen the music).

Klaus
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

look up some lip slur exercises and work them from a slow tempo up to about 15 clicks over the tempo of the piece you are working on. Part of my regiment in college was a large packet full of rudiments like this that was to be worked on every day as a warm up and we would be tested on them twice per semester(for points to beat your own score, not graded). Doing these kinds of etudes as part of your routine will make solos significantly easier on you even if they seem boring or tedious.

I’m not trying to be one of those “just practice” kind of people, but I tend to lean toward shedding over quick tricks. If I had to pick a trick for you however, using alternate fingerings to make it a valved slur as said above is a very sound route.

Each player can have their own path to playing tough things cleanly, as long as what comes out of the bell sounds good. Just experiment with what works for you. Heck, Ive had a pro player tell me he uses false tones for the low Es in the symphonic metamorphosis excerpt, as well as myself using a lip trill in Die Meistersinger.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

what is "articulation" anyways. Can your really ever have *no* articulation? Or will there always be something between notes if you zoom in close enough?
No space between notes, no smack at the note change. if the tongue is involved, who is the wiser.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Well, the buzz continues and should be a gliss between notes. It doesn't start and stop when there is a slur. When the instrument decides to jump partials is up to how the player is applying the buzz and air.