The first privately-owned Eastman 836S Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: The first privately-owned Eastman 836S

Postby joshealejo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 pm

So that s "the asian copy of the asian copy" :D
C Courtois 168 "D'Orchestre"
F B&S Alessandro Fossi "56 AFT"
CC B&S Mel Culbertson "Neptune"
joshealejo
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:15 pm

joshealejo wrote:So that s "the asian copy of the asian copy" :D

Why screw around copying one of the also-rans ?
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby besson900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm always thinking about those all "chinese" tubas.

Price is lower tank European or USA brands but is that's make a sense to buy this kind of tubas?
What about mechanical problems like pistons or rotors -now they are new and working great bit what after 2 or 4 years of playing? They will still play without problems? What about lacquer after few months?

Does it make a sense to buy instrument cheaper 3000 or 4000$ and after 4 or 5 years buying new one which will coast another few thousands dollars?
besson900
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:59 pm

besson900 wrote:I'm always thinking about those all "chinese" tubas.

Price is lower tank European or USA brands but is that's make a sense to buy this kind of tubas?
What about mechanical problems like pistons or rotors -now they are new and working great bit what after 2 or 4 years of playing? They will still play without problems? What about lacquer after few months?

Does it make a sense to buy instrument cheaper 3000 or 4000$ and after 4 or 5 years buying new one which will coast another few thousands dollars?

- I'm not an Eastman dealer.
- I couldn't possibly care less if someone buys an Eastman tuba.
- I'm not personally in the 6/4 C piston tuba market. I've owned several of them in the past, and ended up selling all of them, including some that others seemed delighted to be able to purchase for not-particularly-low prices.
- Were I in the market, I would choose this one over all others. If for no other reason, it plays the most even, is the most in-tune, but it also offers the (though 6/4) clearest sonority of all that I've played. (Again, I prefer more clarity of sound than is offered by a 6/4 C piston tuba, so I'm not in the market.)
- I'm pretty sure that one of the revered European 6/4 C tubas features essential mechanical parts which are fabricated in South America.
- Yamaha is made in Asia, and a large quantity of Yamaha wind instruments have been made in China.
- I see Eastman lacquer (on marching/school instruments) wear off about as slow/fast as any others, but (again) I couldn't possible care less whether anyone purchases any of their products (even less than I care about "lacquer durability")...and - when I wear lacquer off my B&S-made Meinl-Weston tuba (contact against my trousers over time, etc.) I shine the area up and spray more lacquer on it (or not).
- Yeah...There is one Chinese factory - in particular - the products of which - workmanship-wise - I would be wary, but it's not Eastman.

==========================================

It's common knowledge, now (with several dozen people knowing about it), so there's no reason to hide it anymore:
The professional who bought this tuba was very carefully (i.e. in a different manner than usual) carrying it down the stairs in their home to their "tuba-cave". The different-than-usual way they were carrying it, they couldn't see their feet, and they fell down the stairs. They are fine (minor bruises), but the tuba (again: same day as bought "new") took some pretty serious hits on the bell and bow. They followed me all the way home after the conference, and I straightened it back out for them. These were (really) just "test pictures" to see if anyone would notice. Apparently, no one did...but (back to the other topic) this is (in my view) better than all of the other piston C 6/4 tubas I've played, and yes - I doubt that I'll buy one.
bloke

Postby Lee Stofer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:44 pm

The Eastman 836 I played at the Army Tuba-Euphonium Conference was the best new 6/4 tuba I've played in a long time. I've played good examples of all of the York copies, and this one, at least initially, is in the same league. It was that good, which I did not expect. It responded with equal ease in all registers, the low range being most commendable.

My understanding is that Dillon Music in NJ is getting 12 of these initially, and Buddy Roger's Music in Cincinnatti is getting one in the near future.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Lee Stofer
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Previous

Return to TubeNet