FINAL list of Mouthpiece upgrade Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: FINAL list of Mouthpiece upgrade

Postby bloke » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:21 am

royjohn wrote:Bloke,
I think you'd be a GREAT teacher. Maybe not for ten year olds, who would, on first meeting himself and his penetrating gaze, pee their pants, but as a high priced (weeds out the unmotivated) Skype-ish consultant. Don't your colleagues seek you out for advice. Especially the masochistic ones [LOL]! :D :D :D

No, seriously, though...when I get past the beer maidens and the [ahem] noises, you really say some erudite and memorable things. :!: :!: :!:

I don't take myself too seriously, and hope that others don't either.
When someone gushes over some stuff that I did for them (yeah...it could happen...maybe...??) my response might either be,
"So. you were hoping for something more mediocre...??"
...or...
"So you're telling me that you came here with low expectations...??"

...and I'm not usually the one who posts the beer girls. My distractions (hopefully??) are just a bit more imaginative and individually tailored.
Hey, I finally managed to get someone (who I stuck on my "foe" list two years ago) to put me on THEIR "foe" list yesterday (having seen their post after removing temporary files and before logging back in)...so see what diligence can accomplish? :mrgreen:

...but (again) I'm just not interested in "teaching" (and I'm really not sure that "teaching" is possible...whereas I'm quite sure that "learning" IS possible) someone who puts forth LESS energy and exhibits LESS curiously in a week of review and pursuit that ~I~ (the "teacher") put forth (information, inspiration, encouragement, correction, suggestion) in one measly hour. My life (at least, in my view from inside it) is too short to spend all that time (as a "professional teacher") "hoping" to accomplish things. I prefer concrete/observable confirmation:
- "Hey, I did a great job playing that gig, and helped everyone else sound as good as they could possibly sound" (and that - just fwiw - includes a job I played with a clueless gang of very green young "jazzers" a couple of nights ago).
- "Hey, that instrument is put back as-well-as/nearly-as-well-as/better-than new."
- "What do you know...This mouthpiece design really does NOT suck!"
etc...
OK...I might not mind teaching if (after two or three weeks) I could dismiss students who obviously are not interested in learning, but (if I did it privately) I'd piss off a whole bunch of mommies doing that, and (if I did it institutionally) I'd (simply) be dismissed tout suite. :|
:arrow: ...and (who knows...??) perhaps (sometimes) I might end up teaching by example - without even realizing it...
...and yeah, I've taught a few professionals some "one-shot" lessons...and with some not-bad stats:
- two orchestra musicians - just before they prevailed in some (well...) prestigious auditions
- one who was applying for a university teaching job - who (yup) was offered the job (prevailing over other applicants), but didn't end up getting to keep that job (after the multi-year probationary period...)
but (again) those were all adults and were motivated. I only reinforced, (possibly...??) fine-tuned, and encouraged them...people who were already self-reinforced, self-tuned, and self-encouraged.
Again, I'm not really sure that "teaching" is possible, but I AM completely convinced that LEARNING is possible.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby royjohn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 am

I know what you mean about boring trying to teach unmotivated students. I think regular lessons are overrated. They may be good for schoolkids who need to be motivated every week and spoon fed, but for adults a consultation model makes more sense to me. You tell me some stuff and give me something to work on and I come back after a week or a month or two months or whatever when I want to show my progress and get some feedback. I wrote, I think earlier in this thread, about three extended (three hours or so each) lessons I had with Dave Wilken. They were spaced months apart and were focused on embouchure issues...mainly mpc placement and "pivot." These three lessons unblocked my lack of progress and let me feel that what I lacked mainly was practice to lock in what I'd been shown and to exercise muscles which hadn't been in the mix before. My current problem is that these lessons were on trumpet and don't completely transfer easily to tuba. So I guess I'll be back for another few consults at some point.

I'd think of you, Bloke, more as a tuba guru whose mountain you climb when you're looking for the answer to a burning question. As a therapist I endured my share of sessions with unmotivated clients. I also attended, as a trainee, some group workshops filled with motivated professionals who at times almost came to blows over whose turn it was next. I saw truly life changing work occur literally non-stop all day long. Maybe this is "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

But I think it could be fun for you to function as a consultant with motivated advanced students. Your hesitation only makes you a more attractive expert.
royjohn
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:45 am

royjohn wrote:I know what you mean about boring trying to teach unmotivated students. I think regular lessons are overrated. They may be good for schoolkids who need to be motivated every week and spoon fed, but for adults a consultation model makes more sense to me. You tell me some stuff and give me something to work on and I come back after a week or a month or two months or whatever when I want to show my progress and get some feedback.

To be (inconveniently?) pointed out here is that (labeled: adult) college-level private lessons (including post-graduate level) are *weekly, and yes...After one year at each teaching at two different major universities, I gave six-week notices (in the spring) that I would not be returning. As late as the 1970's, Americans were strongly encouraged to become adults by/before their 20's, and - if this did not happen - societal forces tended to "push, shove, and bump" them into becoming much more eager to embrace adulthood. In this post-Orwellian era, I really don't see that occurring. Image
*...and yeah, my undergraduate lessons were weekly as well, but - once I mastered the weekly assigned etudes, etc., to my satisfaction (which had to hit a mark higher than that my instructor seemed to be setting) and would take on other (often, more challenging) materials as well, along with three or four ensembles (rather than the required "one"). I considered "three years" to be a not-very-long-time to allow oneself to become, somewhat, a "master of the tuba" (as I scheduled myself to get through that program in that amount of time)...particularly with all of the (sure: along with some that were quite enlightening as well) nonsense/indoctrination courses that were also part of the degree program which took time away from mastering the tuba.
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm hoping my "tuba studies" will count to my "community service" now that I'm out of the slammer!!

:tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Three Valves wrote:I'm hoping my "tuba studies" will count to my "community service" now that I'm out of the slammer!!

:tuba:

That just about sums it up, doesn't it? :D
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Why else would I go to so many Tuba Christmas' and AA meetings and Kollig??

I needs my ticket punched!!
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Previous

Return to TubeNet