Practice Mute?

The bulk of the musical talk
DrewMa
lurker
lurker

Practice Mute?

Post by DrewMa »

Any suggestions on a good practice mute?

I’ve come across this, but it looks a bit pricy:
http://www.tuba-mute.com/index.php?lang ... acticemute" target="_blank

If you have a recommendation, how does it affect pitch and response?

I’m looking for a way to practice at home in the evening when my kids are in bed.

Thanks!
Drew
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Practice Mute?

Post by fenne1ca »

Get ahold of Lee Stofer and get set up with a Schlipf mute. Fitted to your bell size, highly effective, and compact enough to ride along with your horn in a bag/case.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I'm looking for a DIY and was thinking "large paper mache cone surrounded/filled with open cell foam."
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

DrewMa wrote:Any suggestions on a good practice mute?

I’ve come across this, but it looks a bit pricy:
http://www.tuba-mute.com/index.php?lang ... acticemute" target="_blank" target="_blank

If you have a recommendation, how does it affect pitch and response?

I’m looking for a way to practice at home in the evening when my kids are in bed.

Thanks!
Drew
Yes they are excellent. Only work in one bell size otherwise they have a bunch of funky pitches. Mr Schlipfinger replies to emails but I think list of dealers is on his page. Mr Stofer in the US as already pointed out...
Peach
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

Love the one I just picked up. Remember when you buy it this thing will probably last for years and years.

That said, the pillow I was using before this was cheaper. But the Schplif provides just a liiiiitle more consistent response.
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaDude »

I've been using the Yamaha Silent Brass System for the past couple of months when I don't want to disturb anyone else around the house. Reading up on the Schplip, it sounds like it requires the player to get used to the tone changing with the mute in, the mute can fall out of the bell, the mute fits one bell size. My YSBS straps onto my TU330, 52J, King 1230 Helicon and York Eb/CC Helicon and it doesn't change the tone or the playing characteristics of the horns and yes, it's silent. I plug my time keeping device into the second audio in jack and my Bob Marley over ear headphones into the headphone jack. There are deals that can be had on the new generation of this fine device.
TubaDude
1909 King Helicon with 4th Valve Added
1913 York 4 Valve Eb/C Helicon (for sale)
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

I've got a Schlipf due to arrive tomorrow from Stofer. Seriously excited to have one of my own after trying them at the Army workshop.

When I was playing euph at work, I had one of the red-painted aluminum Denis Wick practice mutes, too. It fit inside the bell just like the Schlipf does.

[update] Got the Schlipf today. It's just as impressive in our apartment as it was in the Elephant Room at Ft Myer. When I played on it, my wife said, "Ooooh!... That's it? That's good."

I had tried a Silent Brass a long time ago, and I liked it, too. But this was available, and it takes up zero extra space.
Last edited by Leland on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

I have used the Yamaha Silent Brass and the Schlipf. Most of my practice is with a mute in order to keep the family happy.

I much prefer the Yamaha silent brass. Intonation much better and it feels more like playing a tuba. I find the low register is EASIER with the silent brass mute (have tried it on various tubas and same experience on all of them). I use it without the amplifier/headphones. The Yamaha won't work well on a 3/4 size tuba. Yamaha is top heavy compared to the Schlipf. If you are experiencing shoulder or back pain then go with the Schlipf. Or for pain free ergonomics with the silent brass you can replicate my set up - get a tuba essentials stand and leave the tuba with the silent brass mute on it setup in your practice room so it takes mere seconds to start practising. Also makes it easy to oil the valves!
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

I have a Yamaha Silent Brass mute/system that is looking for a home, if you are interested.

PM me, if you are interested.
DrewMa
lurker
lurker

Post by DrewMa »

Thanks for sharing all your experiences and suggestions. I appreciate the feedback. I’m planning to visit Lee Stofer to have him do a little work on my tuba and plan to check out one of the Schlipf mutes when I’m there.

Thanks again,
Drew