Lip Pain

The bulk of the musical talk
ehannah
lurker
lurker

Lip Pain

Post by ehannah »

Hello Everyone!

I'm a senior at Augusta University with a concentration in Tuba Performance. I recently won Concerto Competition making history by being the first tuba player in the college existence to ever win, so that's pretty cool. I performed Reflections of the Mississippi. Beautiful piece!

I have a senior recital in a couple months playing Tapestries, Reflections, Andante and Rondo, Adagio from the Limpid Stream, and Convalescence, I'm definitely not playing every movement. But recently I've been having sharp needle like pains and I'm pretty worried. Any advice?
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Lip Pain

Post by Sousaswag »

I think we need more information. Does this only happen when you're playing? Are you potentially allergic to the brass or mouthpiece? How often does it happen and when did it start?
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
ehannah
lurker
lurker

Post by ehannah »

This does happen when I play. It seldomly happens. It happened today and yesterday during Wind Ensemble practice. And no I'm not allergic to anything.
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

Are you playing and practicing a whole lot? Do you use much mpc pressure?
royjohn
julianbrass
lurker
lurker

Post by julianbrass »

Have you ever tried Chop Saver? Maybe that could help. Just punch in Chop Saver on Google and you'll see their website. They should sell them at your local music store.
Tutuka Tutuka
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

This woman is a horn player but specializes in chop injury rehab. Might be worth a visit to her site to see if you want to contact her.
http://www.embouchures.com" target="_blank
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

ehannah wrote:This does happen when I play. It seldomly happens. It happened today and yesterday during Wind Ensemble practice. And no I'm not allergic to anything.
No, stop and explore this. You may have developed a sensitivity to elements in the silver and/or gold alloys in common mouthpieces. TRY a stainless steel and/or lexan mouthpiece and see if the issue persists. Spend some time with different materials (with ample rest in-between) and note the results.

I was a tuba major in college. I developed similar issues that got progressively worse into my college career: pain, swelling, lack of note clarity and articulation due to stiff chops. Sadly, come senior year, my professor wrote me off, asserting the issues were all in my head (the word dystonia was thrown around). I then quit tuba for 11 years.

I came back to fold a year ago on a stainless steel mouthpiece (titanium "k-coat" rim)... surprised to discover that I had more endurance than I ever did in my teens & 20s — no sore chops!
Then, I briefly switched to a traditional silver-plated-brass (both with and without a gold rim)... guess what?? Pain, swelling, & stiff chops!

I also have no diagnosed allergies, but as we age, our bodies like to F with us. You can DEVELOP allergies/sensitivities (late-blooming lactose, gluten, and pollen issues being great examples). More on this here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tubaeup ... e%20metals" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

You can change a mouthpiece material to get an answer on the allergy.

Tender chops are likely to be either too tired or turning into damaged tissue from abuse. I happen to get too winded to continue before my chops get that tired. Overworked musicians in a lot of pain are as common as the grass.
MORE AIR