Observations from TMEA

The bulk of the musical talk
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Observations from TMEA

Post by Ken Crawford »

How do the Z-valves and the new B&S style linkages feel on the Wessex offerings? My specific interest is in the Berg.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

The TMEA being all instruments is it even more of a zoo than Ft Myer??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Mark Finley wrote:TMEA has to be experienced to be believed. 30000 people, one of the largest convention centers you've ever imagined, and right next to the famous San Antonio Riverwalk with all it has to offer. Everyone should come at least once
Is it open to the public?
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Agreed re: the 6/4 Eastman. Maybe this was a bad specimen, but my experience didn't jibe with all the glowing reports. There seemed to be some mechanical issues (5th valve) and the horn seemed to get *way* less efficient below low C.
Salazarsam33
bugler
bugler

Post by Salazarsam33 »

Yall really need to head over to Bmb and try out the new and improved 6/4 prototype.
Wisemann C
BMB F
Aglenntuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Aglenntuba »

Salazarsam33 wrote:Yall really need to head over to Bmb and try out the new and improved 6/4 prototype.
Seconded. I think this was my favorite "York" of the convention, but I agree with Mark that it's a VERY tight race between all 4.
Mikelynch
bugler
bugler

Post by Mikelynch »

I have to agree as to the BMB prototype. It was by far my favorite of the big CCs at TMEA. But I did not try the PCK at Baltimore Brass. I heard several comments on it in line with Mark's.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

These days at these conferences, I don't play many horns, unless I think it might be something I would use. I only play CC tubas. I own an F, but rarely play it. My interest lies in 4 valve, 4/4 light weight CC tubas. Even though I use a stand I made for helping hold the sousaphone, it's still a pain lugging it around. I played 7 nights in a row last week leading up to Fat Tues. and my back still feels it. Anyway, I played a few tubas at TMEA, but I mostly BS'ed with the guys at the booths.

I did see a few outstanding performances. The Dirty River Dixie Band is a trad. jazz band out of San Antonio. I've come to know them from gigs they play in Austin. This is a group of young guys who really kill it; a lot of their playing being in the style of early Jim Cullum. Edwin Brown did some really fine playing on sousaphone.
https://www.dirtyriverdixieband.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

Thurs. night, the featured concert was the UT Wind Ensemble under the direction of Jerry Junkin. Standing room only. Outstanding performance and ensemble under the direction of one of the premiere conductors of wind bands today. They opened with a beautiful arr. of Fountains. Amazing!

Sat. morning, I dragged myself out of bed to hear FLOW. Friday was a late night. This is a tuba/euph quartet consisting of grad. students from UNT. I was standing next to Demondrae and Christian of Miraphone. We were all very impressed with the sound, blend, and intonation of this group.

The Houston Brass Quintet performance was very good and nice to hear too. Allyn Lindsey plays tuba in that ensemble and did a fine job.

I made it home and today will be a winery day with my wife.
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

I was there to buy a euphonium, and tried a lot of great horns. I enjoy playing the Wessex dolce, and their front valve-action Euphonium (I liked the dolce better). I also was quite fond of the Eastman Euphonium (both compensating and non-compensating). The horn that was my favorite, and the one I wound up purchasing was the John Packer 274 Euphonium (thanks again bloke!). That one had such a vibrant sound and was the best of all the horns I played (for me). Pitch was great too. I only had to lip e flats a little bit, and I will probably play 4th space g’s with the 3rd valve a bit versus 1-2 depending on the key. It had such a singing quality and I look forward to playing it. I have yet to like a Euphonium with a main tuning slide paddle. I found the pitch to be better on the 274 model over the 374 model and I felt the 274 had more higher overtones present in the sound that really made it sparkle.
I also really liked the large bore JP rath tenor trombones, both open wrapped and closed, but I liked the sound of the open wrap better (perhaps because how it was braced?). I loved the Adams large bore tenor trombones. It seems I tend to like the .6 thicknesses the best both on the Trombones and the Euphoniums. There was an E3 Adams Euphonium that I really enjoyed playing. Of all the e flat tubas I played at TMEA (I think I tried them all unless Wilson brought one) my favorite was the Packer 377. It had such a clear sound and projected very well. Pitch was great too on this one. If they made this with a 17” bell I would buy it in a heart beat. I already have an e flat tuba, otherwise I would seriously consider the current 374 model. I absolutely loved the JP Rath bass trombone and was very impressed with their alto too. The only one I was less then “wow” about was the .525 bore model. I liked the .500 bore too, but my favorite .500 bore is between my current Edwards and the Michael Davis model by Shires.
I got to try the packer f tuba which I also liked along with the Wessex Berg. I realized e flat is the tuba key where my heart is, so that is where I will stay.
I enjoyed getting to meet and chat with Mark, and also Johnathan at Wessex. Quality has been good, but it is apparent that they have raised the bar even higher, and it was really cool to see all of the new designs along with the double bell euphonium.
The Bach trombones at the Selmer exhibit were good too. My primary horn is a Bach 42 with a Greenhoe valve (yellow Brass) but I would be interested in doing a side by side comparison with the Adams yellow Brass .6 trombone with the dual bore slide (I normally do not like dual bore slides but the one they had played great). I tried another brand of trombones with screw bells but they weren’t for me.
I hope everyone enjoyed their time at TMEA- it was great that so many exhibitors were there along with the locations of the booths this year.