Opinions on Schilke Mouthpieces!

The bulk of the musical talk
julianbrass
lurker
lurker

Opinions on Schilke Mouthpieces!

Post by julianbrass »

Hello people!
I just picked up a Schilke 69C4 Mouthpiece at my local music store.
I'm just curious to know, what are your guys' opinions on this mouthpiece or Schilke mouthpieces in general? :tuba:
Tutuka Tutuka
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Opinions on Schilke Mouthpieces!

Post by Three Valves »

You should have asked before you got it.

Now you will have to tell us!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
julianbrass
lurker
lurker

Post by julianbrass »

Haha I already did ask and they said it's a great all-round mouthpiece. So far I'm really enjoying it. Very precise and easy-to-use mouthpiece.
Tutuka Tutuka
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

I owned and loved Schilke bass trombone mouthpieces, 57, 58, 59, 60. I also owned a few Schilke tuba mouthpieces which I did not dislike, but which didn't give me much of a, er, "buzz". I guess I was spoiled by my PT-50. I feel anyone who buys Schilke mouthpieces will like them or at least not be turned off by them.

Ace
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Opinions: If you bought at a local music store, I hope you didn't overpay. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: But thanks for encouraging the economy...

Otherwise, depending on what kind of tuba you have, it's a great mouthpiece!
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

PMeuph wrote:Opinions: If you bought at a local music store, I hope you didn't overpay. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: But thanks for encouraging the economy...

Are you implying that local music stores in Canada sometimes overcharge? That never happens in the U.S.

Ace just kidding
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Ace wrote:
PMeuph wrote:Opinions: If you bought at a local music store, I hope you didn't overpay. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: But thanks for encouraging the economy...

Are you implying that local music stores in Canada sometimes overcharge? That never happens in the U.S.

Ace just kidding
Seen on a local music store's webpage:

That's $13 700 USD with the exchange....
Yamaha YEP-642s
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

It's a lot like the Miraphone C4, true?

Other Schilke mouthpieces, there's enough there that I guess no one could like them all, but they do generally seem to have a middle of the road comfortable rim.
julianbrass
lurker
lurker

Post by julianbrass »

No I don’t think that stores here in Canada overcharge. The exchange from USD to CAD is really steep so that’s one of the reasons the prices look so steep.
Tutuka Tutuka
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

julianbrass wrote:No I don’t think that stores here in Canada overcharge. The exchange from USD to CAD is really steep so that’s one of the reasons the prices look so steep.
I did say, "I hope you didn't overpay" meaning that I know that some stores (given the smaller market) here have to charge more as they don't have the volume discounts available to certain US retailers. While to USD to cad is currently High, it's not really steep compared to where it's been before, in fact it has dropped almost 20 cents from last summer. The real difficulty is that there's such a fluctuation in the exchange over time. If a Canadian bought something from the US in 2011, and sold it last summer, they probably could have made a pretty penny, just because of the exchange rate and nearly 50% fluctuation in that 6 year period. There are examples at other times were the result would be the exact opposite.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from ... D&view=10Y" target="_blank

Personally, I haven't bought anything from a Canadian music store that was more than $50 in about 15 years.... (I've owned about 30 instruments* in that period, countless mouthpieces, bags, stands, accessories, etc) *Caveat: a lot were purchased used. I've also been disappointed by the terrible service form more than one store, but maybe I'm just a difficult customer.

So, if you're glad with your purchase, that's all that matters!
Yamaha YEP-642s
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

A few years ago I happened to be in a local music store at the same time a low brass teacher at the store had his Reynolds BBb tuba in for some minor repairs. I asked if I could try it out. All he had was a 24AW. No depth of tone. I asked the clerk if there was a deeper mouthpiece behind the counter. The clerk produced a used Schilke 67. I buzzed it then inserted it. I then proceeded to shake the windows of the store with the combination. The teacher said he never knew that his tuba could do that with foundational tone and clarity of intonation. And I am just the weekend warrior, not a "credentialed" low brass teacher!!!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves
Location: Making mischief in the back row at 44, 1' 49"N, 123, 8'10"W

Post by bearphonium »

I played on Shilke when I played euphonium, and just stayed with it when I moved to tuba. I play on a 66; I found the 69C4 great in the low range, but I can center the tone better on the 66.
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone
Conn 19I 4-valve non-comp Euph

What Would Xena Do?