Best etude books

The bulk of the musical talk
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Best etude books

Post by Will Jones »

So, after a career of euphonium playing I’ve branched out on tuba and I’m looking for stuff to play. Life’s to short for boring etude books- what’s your favorite? What is it good for?

-will
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Best etude books

Post by fenne1ca »

Tyrell, Bordogni, and Blazhevich are my favorites.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Will Jones wrote:So, after a career of euphonium playing I’ve branched out on tuba and I’m looking for stuff to play. Life’s to short for boring etude books- what’s your favorite? What is it good for?

-will
36 Celebrated Studies for the Tuba, N. Bousquet. Originally written for bassoon, but since adapted for trumpet, tuba, etc.

32 Etudes for Trombone or Tuba (Etudes de Perfectionnement), Theo Charlier. This is not Charlier's more famous Transcendental Etudes for trumpet. The range is somewhat high for tuba (sometimes extremely high), but well worth playing, at pitch if you can, or down an octave.

Both books are technically difficult. The Charlier in particular covers a wide range of issues, including range, dynamics, articulation, and especially expression.

Both of these books place a high value on great melodic lines, and are therefore fun to play.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

Great times, I loved these on euphonium (reading from the horn version). Back in school I played #1 on a recital from memory, which is always a big stretch for me. I wish I had a recording.

I Think I'll pass on tuba . . . for now.
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

36 Celebrated Studies for the Tuba, N. Bousquet. Originally written for bassoon, but since adapted for trumpet, tuba, etc.

32 Etudes for Trombone or Tuba (Etudes de Perfectionnement), Theo Charlier. This is not Charlier's more famous Transcendental Etudes for trumpet. The range is somewhat high for tuba (sometimes extremely high), but well worth playing, at pitch if you can, or down an octave.

Both books are technically difficult. The Charlier in particular covers a wide range of issues, including range, dynamics, articulation, and especially expression.

Both of these books place a high value on great melodic lines, and are therefore fun to play.

Hup[/quote]

I've not heard of these. I'll try to check them out.
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

fenne1ca wrote:Tyrell, Bordogni, and Blazhevich are my favorites.
Definitely going to get the blazevich. I love the clef studies for trombone. I hope these are just as good!