Tuba "rent-to-own"

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Tuba "rent-to-own"

Post by TheTuba »

so, just asking this for future reference...

If you ask nicely, will tuba makers/sellers like Wessex, MACK brass, and Eastman allow payment per month instead of everything at once?

not looking to buy (at the moment) just asking!

Thanks in advance!
-Raghul :tuba:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Tuba "rent-to-own"

Post by Tom »

No. They do not finance and don't function as lenders/banks in that regard. That is true of virtually all shops that deal with tubas. You'll have to arrange your financing elsewhere if you need to, i.e. bank loan, credit card balance, friend/family loan, etc. and then pay in full for the merchandise at the retailer. If you do that you can make your payments, albeit not directly to the retailer, but rather to the bank, credit card company or whomever you borrowed the money from. Beware of interest rates and dealing with debt in general and make your decision accordingly.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Around here, Most of the stores that sell anything over $500 (Furniture, tools, instruments, etc) Facilitate the financing through a credit union. the music stores have Rent-to-own on quite a few instruments.

I've never used it, so can't give you details, i just see the sign when I go there and know a couple people who have used it. Interest rates seem to be around 15% on personal loans these day in Canada.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
David A. Goldfarb
bugler
bugler

Post by David A. Goldfarb »

Woodwind and Brasswind offers financing. Haven't used it myself, but they're always advertising it.
twitter: @GoldfarbTbone
1958 BBb Martin "Mammoth"
& a handful of 'bones
Ferguson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ferguson »

Many US dealers representing Conn-Selmer or Yamaha have access to consumer financing from Synchrony Bank (GMAC. It's the same kind of offer you might see at Home Depot or Best Buy for financing. 6 months, 36 months, etc. You can finance any brand. (The Horn Guys offers these sorts of plans, but we don't represent tuba choices of the OP.) Payments on 36 month plans are about $34 monthly per $1000 borrowed. A $10K tuba would cost you $340/mo.x36. KHS Music has a plan though another consumer lender with financing plans up to 60 months.

Also ask your local credit union what they offer. Mine offered a 7% fixed rate credit card, limit $20K depending upon credit score. Look into home equity lines if you own a home. You can finance at 4% and pay interest only, about $4 monthly per $1000 borrowed. I recommend a book called "Own Your Home Years Sooner" by Harj Gill that tells how to use a credit line to your advantage. You can find his book used on Amazon for $1. Best $1 you'll ever spend.

-f
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

There is a store by me called Horn Stash that actually partners (I believe) with a financing company specializing in musical instruments. Take a look http://www.hornstash.com/info/Financing ... a4f2c00fba" target="_blank
BE CAREFUL if you do something like this. If you can't keep on top of it, you'll end up paying more. I would really recommend saving and buying used when you can, fwiw..
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Visa/Mastercard checks.

I get offers for 3-4% one time transfer fee and 18 months to pay back.

A 3% personal line of credit for 18 months??

These deals won't last!!

But pay it off according to the terms.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote: It's possible to become independent financially (and no, I didn't use the term "independently wealthy"). All you have to do is to not fall into the ill-advised pitfalls into which the vast majority of people fall.
I frequently recommend the following for young co-workers and the like;

1. Show up to work on time every day.
2. Live within your means.
3. Don't have children before you are married.
4. Buy the biggest home you can afford as soon as feasible.
5. Never underestimate the value of marrying well!! :oops:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote: People of an identifiable societal/political mindset will - most often - encourage others to go into debt
What "societal/political mindset" is that? Lunatics? That said, as 3V touched on above ("buy the biggest home you can afford as soon as feasible"), there are financial propositions that sometimes call for the assumption of a debt burden and make sense. And when I found myself in that position, it turned out that I needed to delay that for years - never having taken on any debt, my rating was 0, so I couldn't even get a bank credit card, had to start with Sears.

So in that sense, yes, I could have used some advice from a societal/political contingent that excludes hillbillies and others with no understanding of how things work out there. But maybe these are the exceptions that prove the rule, it isn't taking on debt to buy something you can't otherwise afford. Even the home - you don't buy a home when you can't raise rent money.