Show us your fiber-sousa custom paint jobs!

The bulk of the musical talk
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Show us your fiber-sousa custom paint jobs!

Post by Ltrain »

While I’m waiting for this second coat of Citristrip to remove the last of the nasty pebble finish (not knocking the style, it was in bad shape when I got it) from my otherwise fully-rebuilt, new-to-me 70s Conn 36K... I’m thinking about what color I want to go. This rig is what some call “fiberbrass” as the bell I matched it with is actually from a vintage (Naked Lady) 26K. It’s a great match, making his horn sound much more “14K” with excellent projection and intonation (except for that pesky, flat C in the staff). I’ll post pics when it’s stripped, primed, and assembled for Sunday band rehearsal.

As for the final body paint color, I tried a test coat of “antique gold” and wasn’t digging how it clashed with the lacquered brass. White is too basic. I’m leaning toward satin black with a nice, semi-gloss clear coat to prevent fingerprints.

But I have at least a week until she’s color-ready! So, I figured it would be cool to see what kind of shenanigans y’all have gotten into with your fiberglass sousas.

I’ve seen pictures of Bloke’s crazy (awesome) custom 36K (though some action shots would be cool). I’ve seen Bill Troiano’s awesome Jupiter too, that’s a gorgeous black finish!

What else have you guys done? Don’t be shy!
Last edited by Ltrain on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Show us your fiber-sousa custom paint jobs!

Post by Sousaswag »

I was under the assumption that a 20k/22k bell will not fit a 14k/36k body? Are you sure it isn't a 14k bell? The 20k bell should be too wide to fit a 36k..
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

@Sousaswag sorry for the fake news! Simple case of morning (almond)butter fingers. It’s very much a nice, brasss 26K bell... says the stamp on the back, 6 1/8” diameter, etc. Updating post now.

Now back to the OP’s topic ;)
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Oooooooooooooooh. I like.

Bloke, if I decide to keep this horn, I may also reach out to you directly in the coming months about sending you my valve section for "detailing". Nothing major (it's just had a full "service-restoration"). There are still a few dings (in the not-easlity-reached 3rd valve loop, of course) and I would be asking for the obligatory classy satin lacquer treatment you gave to that school's 36K horn (A+). I'd also want to chat about modifying the first valve plumbing: shortening and reversing the slides to bring up 2nd space C, and allow left-hand manipulation for Eb/low C... just thinking aloud. I'll cross that brigde once I decide I can hack it on BBb!
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------