The bulk of the musical talk

Would you buy one?

Total votes: 0

Levaix
bugler
bugler

Re: just curious...

Post by Levaix »

I would not buy a brand new Miraphone, much less one that costs an extra $1000. My entire Sonora cost only a couple hundred dollars more than the proposed "upgrade" by itself, and the numerous dents and imperfections in the metal assures me that I already have a thin brass handmade tuba. :lol:
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

No, but maybe a short bell 184?
Tim Jackson
bugler
bugler

Post by Tim Jackson »

I voted yes - as I have a 1960 186 CC 5U, I is a wonderful tuba. But I thought mine was more desirable because of the original larger lead pipe! I keep reading "complete with the desireable smaller diameter leadpipe"

This horn is truly a do all and the "point and shoot" label fits it well. I just had the horn out last night along side my newly acquired "valve wonder tuba".

If I was looking and in the market or recommending a horn to a student and one of these thin wall vintage style horns was available it would certainly be recommended.

Sadly, with the flood of dozens of new budget pipes of every color and flavor - most students move toward/ feel they deserve the hot new tuba of the day. I have had families ask for an opinion one week and when I see them the next week they excitedly tell me they went on and ordered the (*&^%$. (never my recomnedation)

Every tubist should have "at some time" during his playing days - one good 6/4 instrument and one vintage miraphone.

Tim Jackson

1960 Miraphone CC 5U (has the BBb crook)
1980 Walter Nirschl CC 4/4
1920s York front action BBb 6/4
1950s Holton Silver Sousaphone
Pullmann Bass 3/4 (my dream bass)
1980 Fender Jazz Bass
Vintage Eden Bass Amp
1960 Ampeg B-18 Bass Amp
2 1940 era 2B King Liberty Silver Trombones
Reynolds vintage Bass Trombone