Wiseman CC vs. Wessex 5/4 CC

The bulk of the musical talk
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Wiseman CC vs. Wessex 5/4 CC

Post by BBruce107 »

Hi all I am looking into these models and was curious of which was a better instrument. I am looking to downsize my bore from my Rudy 5/4 and these tubas perked my interest. My teacher plays a Pt6p and from when I tried the horn I really enjoyed it and hear the Wiseman is very similar. I appreciate any feedback you can share thank you!
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Wiseman CC vs. Wessex 5/4 CC

Post by Ken Crawford »

I really love my Wisemann 900. It is a few years old and hasn't had any problems with the leadpipe, or any other problems for that matter. Zero complaints. As for buying one, you will be limited to the used market as there is no current distributor. The Wisemann is a truly 5/4 sized instrument. The Wessex Wyvern is a fine instrument but is a solidly 4/4 size instrument, no question. There may be some argument to the contrary, but, it's a 4/4... :tuba: Either one is a good choice. There is a used Wisemann for sale in Texas: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=85830&p=644672&hili ... nn#p644672" target="_blank
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

Ken Crawford wrote: There is a used Wisemann for sale in Texas: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=85830&p=644672&hili ... nn#p644672" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
I saw that particular tuba recently, looks like it is in good condition. Are these tubas compatible with the MAW valves? My teachers pt6p sported them and I loved how easy the valves were to use. How are the stock valves on the Wiseman? I do not have a lot of finger strength so the heavier B&S valves get very cumbersome to play for long periods of time.
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

MAW valves can work in a Wisemann. Wisemann is inconsistent with their valve sizes. Martin will work with you to get a set fit properly.
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Sam Gnagey »

I see that no one is commenting on the Wessex 5/4 CC which I believe is the Wyvern model. I've tried many examples of them and I think they're superb CC tubas. That's probably why they so seldom come up for sale used. They are available new. A Wyvern is certainly larger than what I consider being a 4/4 tuba. Just look at its specs.
Unfortunately I don't have any opinion on the Wisemann.
Last edited by Sam Gnagey on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ferguson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ferguson »

I imported a dozen Wisemann tubas from DY Music. They were nice playing horns. The company seemed a little shady, like they bought the tubas from elsewhere and weren't offering more, just end of production. I don't know. Parts were not easily available. Mechanically the valve cap threading was frustrating, but otherwise they seemed like fine instruments for the money. I don't know the other model the OP mentioned, but that brand is more accessible after purchase, so that's worth it right there.

-f
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
BTW, even though called a 4/4, the Big Mouth Brass (BMB) J-845 is really a 5/4 ‘light’ and can do EVERYTHING needed ...and at the current prices (for 5 valves) at $5,467 in lacquer and $5,634 in Silver, should be play tested and considered in the conversation.....
Mark
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Ferguson wrote:The company seemed a little shady, like they bought the tubas from elsewhere and weren't offering more, just end of production. I don't know.
Wiseman are an actual manufacturing company. I visited their factory in Beijing when Wessex was first starting up. It was a small factory which I decided not to use on the advice of my Chinese wife as she did not like the company and how it was run.

For the Wyvern, it is a Wessex tuba of which I am particularly proud, as it was my own personal design concept, realised in collaboration with the previous production manager, the talented Mr. Pan. We do get very good feedback on the tuba and although it maybe 4/4 in size, it can certainly produce a 5/4 tone. I have personally used playing Shostakovich 7 and Mahler 5. Its most prestigious use is by Igor Martinezz in the wonderful Simon Bolivar Orchestra of Venezuela.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Ferguson wrote:Mechanically the valve cap threading was frustrating, but otherwise they seemed like fine instruments for the money.
Same thing with the trumpets. How is it that they can build a decent trumpet, but not get the valve caps right? Once they're threaded they spin right on, but it's difficult to line up the threads when you're starting. Not just me, it's a consistent complaint. Very weird.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

hup_d_dup wrote:
Ferguson wrote:Mechanically the valve cap threading was frustrating, but otherwise they seemed like fine instruments for the money.
Same thing with the trumpets. How is it that they can build a decent trumpet, but not get the valve caps right? Once they're threaded they spin right on, but it's difficult to line up the threads when you're starting. Not just me, it's a consistent complaint. Very weird.

Hup
I must have gotten lucky because my threads are no problem at all. I don't even have to turn backwards for a click, they just go on.
dasanchezr
bugler
bugler

Post by dasanchezr »

Being a new owner of a Wyvern I can say it plays pretty big, its a 5/4 on its own right I just played Symphonic Metamorphosis with it and no complains. To me its one of the most friendly instruments I've ever played in terms of sound production and intonation. I can compare it to a Wiseman because I've never played one, it might play with a bigger sound than the wyvern, but I can't certainly complain about the amount and weight I can put on the volume.