Kiell Roikjer trios

The bulk of the musical talk
caskConditionedAle
lurker
lurker

Kiell Roikjer trios

Post by caskConditionedAle »

I have photocopies of manuscripts of "10 INVENTIONER for 3 Tubaer. Op. 58" I've done a couple of quick Google searches and all I usually come up with is a link to the 10 duets Op 55. These where brought to my college (SUNY Fredonia) back in the mid-70's by Michael Lind. My teacher, Rudy Emilson, made copies for all of us and we performed them at recitals and Octubafests. I really loved these trios for their originality and how well they sounded on the three Tubas. Many Tuba ensemble stuff just didn't excite me due to the muddy sounds. But these trios sing!

Have they been published? Available? If not, I would gladly scan them for the TubeNet library.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Kiell Roikjer trios

Post by Bill Troiano »

Who is this? I was at Fredonia when Michael Lind brought them there. Rudy Emilson was also my teacher. On a recital, Rudy, Michael and I each played a couple of solos and then we played a few of the Roikjer trios. Then, we drank beer, of course.

A few years later, I had the trios in my gig bag. I took the North Carolina Symphony audition and didn't advance past the first round. A bunch of us went out to dinner and drank a lot. Then, 3 of us headed to a bar that was supposed to have a band. While at the bar, we overheard the bartender /manager on the phone complaining that the band backed out for the night and people had paid a cover to get in. Jokingly, I told him that we were tuba players who auditioned for the Symphony that afternoon and that we had our tubas in a van outside. He asked us to get them and I had the trios. We played the whole set on the stage while the patrons sat on the dance floor and listened. We became rock stars and had drinks bought for us the rest of the night and eventually got invited back to a trailer with these girls. Well, you know the rest. The life of a rock star!!
caskConditionedAle
lurker
lurker

I'm Eric Abis, I was a freshman 74-75. I remember you playing Baker's Canzonet. I was very impressed and ended up playing it on my graduation recital.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Hi Eric, I was a grad student at Eastman then. I came back to Fredonia to meet Mike Lind, visit with Rudy and play on the recital. Canzonet was a pretty cool piece back then. Later on, I remember someone in charge of the NYSSMA solo list for tuba put that piece on the list as a level 6. When I took over the NYSSMA position, I immediately removed that piece from the list, along with Encounters II, which was also on the list.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Making copies available here of course would be interesting, but, sad to be the game spoiler, hardly advisable.

I never met Kjell Roikjer, at least that I know of, even if I came quite a bit at his workplace, our royal opera, where he was a basoonist, because my trombone teacher in college, the late Svend Rasmussen, was a trombonist. Roikjer retired the year I graduated, 1971. He lived from 1901 through 1999.

Roikjer was published by Wilhem Hansen of Copenhagen. Last I was in contact with WH they didn’t stock their back-catalogue, but their business was set up to do an immediate print on demand even for as little as one single specimen.

If you google Kjell Roikjer, you will find Wiki stubs in Danish as well as in English.

Klaus
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Remembered that I wrote on something Roikjer related on old TubeNet. Appears that I mentioned the tuba inventions:

http://www.chisham.com/tips/bbs/sep2002 ... 07912.html

According to my then writing the inventions were published by a different edition, which according to a business register still exists, but which I cannot find a direct link for:

Engstrøm & Sødring

Until around 1995 I came in their street store quite frequently, but the store has since then closed like the WH store, both under ownership of the same person. Last I looked for E&S on the web they were more of just an office looking after their copyrights. I have no knowledge about their distribution practices. If the owner is still the same, I would not give him a chance to sue you at court.

Klaus
caskConditionedAle
lurker
lurker

Bill Troiano wrote:Hi Eric, I was a grad student at Eastman then. I came back to Fredonia to meet Mike Lind, visit with Rudy and play on the recital.
Yeah, now I remember. You were the only former student Rudy talked about in my lessons. I remember the pride in his voice when he announced you had got a gig with the Guy Lombardo band. After that, I remember a mention of the hardships of being on the road and smelly uniforms. Rudy was one of those teachers that took great pains to look out for his students. Maybe he was trying to steer me away from a professional career? Whatever the case, I decided after 3 years in an army band, going back to school for a Computer Engineering degree in the early '80's was a good idea for me.
Last edited by caskConditionedAle on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caskConditionedAle
lurker
lurker

imperialbari wrote:Making copies available here of course would be interesting, but, sad to be the game spoiler, hardly advisable.
I agree with you 100%. Composers, even dead ones, deserve all the money they earn. My only concern was for a great work, unpublished by short sighted publishers, could be forgotten. I and probably Bill Troiano, recommend you buy these trios, they are killer!