Sousaphone for Noob.

The bulk of the musical talk
S.G.F.
bugler
bugler

Sousaphone for Noob.

Post by S.G.F. »

So straight up, what’s the best sousaphone to march with? I know it’s an opinion based question, but I have no experience with sousaphones.

Weight is a factor, have to stand at parade rest a lot, and often am the only bass instrument in a 30 piece marching wind band. Would prefer BBflat, but can play both keys. Have been playing a Besson 994, but it’s just killing me. And my back. And my leg. And my face.

Have at me!! Happy to hear answers as long or as short as you like.

Thanks in advance.
Nirschl York
JBL Classic
Rudi Meinl 5/4 Bflat
Besson Sovreign 994

YouTube; SGFTuba
Freelance, Teacher & Paid Gig operator.
Sydney, Australia
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Sousaphone for Noob.

Post by opus37 »

Look for a fiberglass sousaphone. Most have a decent sound, especially on the field, and they weigh the least.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

As the happy owner of sousaphone and a helicon I find marching with a helicon to be easier than the sousaphone.
A helicon is lighter and better balanced and is less bother to transport around.
A sousaphone has slightly more wow factor as they are not common in Ireland.
I got both of mine from eBay a Conn 26k and a maker unknown european rotary valved helicon.
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

sousaphone68 wrote:As the happy owner of sousaphone and a helicon I find marching with a helicon to be easier than the sousaphone.
A helicon is lighter and better balanced and is less bother to transport around.
I got both of mine from eBay a Conn 26k and a maker unknown european rotary valved helicon.
Wow, that's the opposite of my experience, between sousaphone and helicon. Of course, as you say, the difference between Ireland and the US would account for some of it. The make of helicon would account for some of the rest - some of them are light and nicely balanced, others are awful - and quite often they offer little or no adjustment to accommodate differences in anatomical dimensions, where the sousaphone has that funky adjustable leadpipe. The nicest playing helicon I had, I got when its previous owner decided he couldn't live with the cramped right hand position. Typically in my experience they're one piece, where a sousaphone invariably has a detachable bell - so a far more compact package to transport. Also helicons have a tendency to mow down fellow marchers to the left.

Anyway, of course fiberglass or whatever that stuff is, is the marching player's delight. I only played one for a couple seconds, but it was wonderfully light. But most any sousaphone will be far easier than a top valve contrabass tuba. If you can find one you like, then that's the best.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

S.G.F. wrote:So straight up, what’s the best sousaphone to march with? I know it’s an opinion based question, but I have no experience with sousaphones.

Weight is a factor, have to stand at parade rest a lot, and often am the only bass instrument in a 30 piece marching wind band. Would prefer BBflat, but can play both keys. Have been playing a Besson 994, but it’s just killing me. And my back. And my leg. And my face.

Have at me!! Happy to hear answers as long or as short as you like.

Thanks in advance.
You might want to check out the Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon. That will be ideal for your purpose and much easier to carry than a sousaphone - https://uk.wessex-tubas.com/collections ... licon-hb24. A helicon has much lower center of gravity and therefore hangs better on the body without weight of huge bell above your head. I have had a number of people come to buy a sousaphone and gone away with a helicon instead. When you try back-to-back it is obvious which is best to both carry and play.

Being a modern instrument, it has detachable bell.

Last edited by Wyvern on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

I moved over to marching with a helicon because on St Patricks day I used to do 7 parades and the chore of assembling and then breaking down the sousaphone meant I was first off and last onto the bus.
With the helicon it just sits on the seat beside me and is considerably lighter than my all brass 26K.
My helicon is in Eb and is a snug fit compared to the sousaphone and so may not suit everyone and the sousaphone does sound better than my helicon
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

I was surprised how much my 3 valve, Jupiter/Stofer CC fiberglass sousaphone weighed when I received it in shipment. It's almost 25 lbs., but it does have a brass bell. The fiberglass, or whatever material the body is made from, is thick, heavy and probably indestructible. It might possibly weigh more than the same instrument in all brass would weigh. It plays great, but I would like something under 20 lbs. for my aging body. So, beware if you choose to buy a Jupiter fiberglass sousaphone thinking it weighs the same as most other fiberglass sousaphones.

I know that my first CC sousaphone, which was a cut down Conn 36K, weighed around 16 lbs. Very easy to carry around.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Don't just wear it for hours, put it down when you aren't playing or at least put it on your right shoulder. or you'llmess up your shoulder.
Get good at popping it on and off fast, you can use a toe under it to pop it up and set it down gently without straining your back.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Go with a King. I've found that they play the easiest with no problem notes, and no stuffy low register like a Conn 20k. (Okay, a new 20k)
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

I'm really happy with the Conn 36K I picked up used. If you can find an older 36K they are lightweight and mine has some pretty good punch to the sound.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

helicon.jpg
sousaphone68 wrote:As the happy owner of sousaphone and a helicon I find marching with a helicon to be easier than the sousaphone.
I only have a little Eb helicon, but if you can play it on horseback, it must rock walking. I had a giant Conn Sousa, it was a bear to hold in outdoor concerts.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Those are little dinky helicons. When you get to a sort of normal size bass helicon, it depends - the Cerveny F for example loops around you in an oval, so it naturally hangs where it's supposed to, but the Eb is circular and has to be held in position. Sousaphones are also circular, but arguably better balanced. I've never played a contrabass helicon, but I'd be surprised if it's any less awkward than a sousaphone. But your mileage may differ ... I seem to get along OK with my big Conn sousaphone. Unless I have to sit down, now that's awkward.