Is the PT-6 or 5/4 size horn too big for an all around horn?

The bulk of the musical talk

Is the PT-6 or 5/4 size horn to big for an all around horn?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 50

Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Is the PT-6 or 5/4 size horn too big for an all around horn?

Post by Cthuba »

Just would like some opinions. A mentor/ teacher of mine put this bug in my ear when he had me put my Rudy down to try his PT6. He uses and sounds great on his 6 for everything, but he is also much bigger than myself. Just curious.
Gnagey 4/4

That which is dead can eternal lie and with many strange aeons even tubas will fly
-A Misquote from HP Lovecraft.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Is the PT-6 or 5/4 size horn too big for an all around h

Post by ckalaher1 »

I own a 3098, and really appreciate the instrument for ensemble playing, but in my opinion there are many better options for an "all around" tuba than a PT6/PT6P.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

We're tuba players. There's no such thing as too big!
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

bloke wrote:People who own one tuba will play one tuba.
Deep man, deeeeep. :lol:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

the elephant wrote:*My* idea of an all around tuba would be the Miraphone 188. I can do just about anything I want on it without killing myself. The 186 is too small for me to use in my job all the time. (I have a Mack 410 and it works really well in the orchestra, but only in a limited role for me.) I *must* have a larger tuba sometimes. But I could play the big stuff on a 188 pretty well, and have done that for years in the past. I have also gotten by in a quintet for years with one. It is about as big as I want to get where I might have to play very softly or high up for extended times. The 188 seems to split the extremes quite well. I just wish the low register was a bit easier. If it were I would own one today.
I agree. I had a GREAT 188 and sold it to chase down a larger horn. I've owned several VERY fine larger horns since then... but have never felt as comfortable with those as I have with the 188. The low register on mine wasn't too bad, and with a PT-88, it was quite easy to make the tuba sound very good. Ugh, why on earth did I sell it!

Beyond that, I've probably spent about the last 10-12 years trying to decide whether or not I want a 188, and even right now, I'm seriously contemplating getting another 188 and trying to make it work again. Just love those tubas! :tuba:
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

PT-6 is a good 65+ piece or better horn. Would be too grouchy in a quintet setting, unless a pro is playing it.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Depends on what type of groups you play in, what type of music you play, etc.
If you primarily play in larger groups/ensembles, the PT-6 or equivalent would probably be a perfect all around tuba. But if you do a lot of quintet/chamber playing, it is prolly a little too much tuba.
For me "all around" is one of my large Eb tubas. My large CC is very similar in size to the PT-6. I only use my CC in larger ensembles, if I'm the only tuba in an ensemble bigger than quintet, or if the music really calls for a more robust/huskier type sound. :idea: