Wick tuba numbering system

The bulk of the musical talk
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Wick tuba numbering system

Post by imperialbari »

The reason for the missing designation letter for the small old-style British tuba shank is historical.

When the Denis Wick mouthpieces were introduced around 1970, there only were 3 tuba mouthpieces: ## 3, 2, & 1.

All models, except for the said 3 tuba models (which were silver plated only) came in gold plate only.

At a clinic at the Copenhagen conservatory, where I was invited by the sponsor despite never being a student there, in September 1973 Denis Wick specifically mentioned price reasons for the tuba models being silver plate only. Irony has it that after all of his models became available in both finishes, I greatly prefer the silver plated versions.

DW didn’t have his own production facilities back then. He rather was a design consultant for Boosey & Hawkes/Besson. To some degree the DW mouthpieces were intended for the top-of-the-line Sovereign models.

Only there were no Sovereign tubas until 1983. DW told that they worked on square compensating tubas in Eb and in BBb. Square, he told, meant American style bodies. Less tall and with one more loop in the main bugle. According to DW they had the Eb finished. They had experimented with leadpipes and had found one that improved the Eb model by 25%. The problem being that they could not get the BBb version right. So the line of tuba mouthpieces needed no L-versions to serve the British market.

When I took part in the first European Championships for brass bands in Royal Albert Hall in early October of 1978, the exhibitors lamented the lack of Sovereign tubas, and referred to the Imperial/New Standard line.

The year after, 1979, saw the introduction of a slightly upgraded hybrid line of tubass Eb and BBb
now both came with 19” bells for 3+1P compers, while the 3P compers stayed with 15” and 17” bells respectively. All kept the narrow leadpipe receivers. The stamping became a bit odd. I have played a band owned 3+1P BBb, which was stamped Besson Imperial. I didn’t like that instrument. It was easy to get the pedals and also the high range up to the 16th partial, but around the 5th partial it was unreliable with random response. I tried to flush it, but the rehearsal building only had cold water, so no improvement. I began bringing my own York Master BBb, which worked much better. Only its recording bell was not well liked by some purists.

Klaus