exploring (possible) Sellmansberger one-piece options

The bulk of the musical talk
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: exploring (possible) Sellmansberger one-piece options

Post by thevillagetuba »

If a symphony (with a symphony shank) was available with no2 rim (perhaps with the 33.2 rim or one a little smaller), then I would have a great mouthpiece to recommend to students. They often try my collection, sound best on my symphony, but can't get approval or don't have the funds to purchase one.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Now we're talking! This is something I've been interested in for a while.

Symphony cup, symphony shank, #2 rim, standard shank (that's the most Geib-ish cup and rim combination, right?)

Guessing you wouldn't be able to still do the fancy engraving on the side of the brass mp's?
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

My thinking is to do this:

Solo / #1 or #2 rim / #1 solo backbore

Symphony / #1 or #2 rim / symphony backbore

Though I prefer the #2 rim profile in 32.6mm, it seems to me like either profile with an opening at-or-near 33mm would be logical and (just as you said) a good compromise.

I would call other parts and combinations "specialty" and not bother to offer them in one piece brass. If a player wants them, they are still available, though in stainless and for additional $$$.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

Tom wrote:My thinking is to do this:

Solo / #1 or #2 rim / #1 solo backbore

Symphony / #1 or #2 rim / symphony backbore

Though I prefer the #2 rim profile in 32.6mm, it seems to me like either profile with an opening at-or-near 33mm would be logical and (just as you said) a good compromise.

I would call other parts and combinations "specialty" and not bother to offer them in one piece brass. If a player wants them, they are still available, though in stainless and for additional $$$.
Agreed, except that the #1 & #2 rims are both fairly narrow. I'd like to see your most popular narrow rim (#2?) with an option of your most popular (noticeably) wider rim - W-N for me but others will disagree.

As has been said, these have all so far been made by Mr Houser so presumably he has the figures on sales?
Peach
tubacorbin
bugler
bugler

Post by tubacorbin »

Would LOVE a silver-plated brass version of the Symphony cup, symphony shank (Standard/American), #2 rim (32.9 preference, otherwise 33.2).
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

I would think an Imperial with a moderately wide inner diameter Helleberg profundo rim would be a good seller/easy to recommend to students. I use the #1 full-size rim, but most who try mine seem to think it’s too wide.

Since most students are probably going to be playing contrabass Tuba, I would think the clarity from the profundo version of the Solo or Imperial would be desirable.

-T. J.
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Post by WagnerRing »

Symphony cup, symphony shank, #2 rim, 32.9 mm diameter, standard shank, silver plate. (I like both the #2 and the Laskey style HLB2 rims, either would be great.)
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan M
bugler
bugler

Post by Ethan M »

Last edited by Ethan M on Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

starting to have enough secondary market that I could buy one off Tubenet if I wanted one and was a little bit patient.
so if you can undercut that by going onepiece, that's a great idea.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Mark Finley wrote:Isn't there a shank that is in between an American and European? That might be ideal
Mike Finn mouthpieces have a .525" shank size. Half way between American and Euro. I think he's pretty brilliant to do that.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Symphony cup, symphony shank, #2 rim, 32.9 mm diameter, silver plate. I'd probably buy both a Euro and and an American one unless something like a tweener .525" shank was offered.

My interest is mainly in the smaller rim size in between the 32.6 (porridge too hot) and the 33.2 (porridge too cold). I'm not all that interested in the silver plated brass.

What'd I'd rather have is a stainless #2 rim 32.9 mm in diameter. I'd be in for 3 or 4 of those.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Mark Finley wrote:I was thinking I bought a shank for a bloke that had the "tweener" size.

P shank? Am I imagining it?
Yeah, I have one of those also. It's a little smaller than Euro. Same size as PT stuff IIRC.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

#1 33.2 rim w/spacer
-imperial cup
-solo #1 backbore (this is actually the older cup and back-bore in one piece for a USA shank)

I play a lot of F, 4/4 and 5/4 BBb in pop music, jazz and brass quintet situations, 90% of the time mic'ed. Since I'm not your average "target" customer my info may not be of use.

The #1 33.2 Rim usually wins out because I can just articulate clearer/easier (maybe I'm lazy).
I often use the spacer (time to order a Profundo). It seems to help the stability after the attack just a tad.

I tend to switch between solo with a #1 back-bore and the Imperial #1. (I'd be interested in seeing how the Imperial would work with a 0 back-bore but you don't offer that, correct?).

The #2 33.2 rim, Symphony cup with #1 backbone only comes out when I need to make some glorious acoustic sounds.

I do semi regularly blind-fold tests and I've kept my data for about 2 years now (long live the smart phone).
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

Possibly useless thought... would it be possible to make just two-piece bottoms in brass? Then everyone could still choose-your-own-adventure with the available stainless and lexan rims while (possibly) retaining an overall lower price(?)
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

I think your #2 rim is the best I have ever played--comfortable, sharp enough, and narrow. I haven't tried the #1 but I have no reason to leave the #2.