I am considering downsizing Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

I am considering downsizing

Postby nworbekim » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:44 am

I have inherited my mother's family's affliction of arthritis. The term the Doctor used for my flavor was degenerative arthritis. Disks and joints are just going away....

Right now I'm playing a king 2341 and I do fine except for stairs and places where I can't roll it. I've taken up the euphonium for a couple of years thinking it might become a permanent thing, i really like it, and people like how I play, but it just ain't the same.

I'm thinking 3/4 size.... I played a little Conn in high school and it did ok. It was small enough to handle easily, but I could get plenty of sound out of it. But I prefer 4 valves. For a similar quality of the 2341 in a 3/4 size, where would I begin? Cost is somewhat of an issue unless I decide to let my king go.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Re: I am considering downsizing

Postby Ace » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:05 am

You might be interested in this:

http://www.cerveny.biz/bariton/cep_533-4g.php

Ace
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Postby thejester10276 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:07 am

The yamaha ybb 621's might be something to look into

Although it probably isn't ideal, have you considered switching to an Eb horn? Weight wise it seems much more manageable for any Eb than most BBb's. The seller of this horn is open to trades if you were to consider trading your 2341
http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85578&p=646885&hilit=Eb#p646885

Hopefully you find a solution that works well... best of luck to you
thejester10276
bugler
bugler

Postby opus37 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:01 am

Finding a 4 valved BBb 3/4 size horn is going to be tough. Wessex has the stumpy, which might fit your need. They also have the travel tubas, but they have sound limitations which you may not be happy with. If you went to Eb or F, you would have better luck finding something that is smaller and lighter.
Brian
1893 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
2017 Wessex BR140 Baritone
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Stryk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:35 am

The Mirafone 184 is a great horn and about as light as you can get and you can pick them up pretty reasonably. The Yamaha YBB-103 and the newer 4 valve versions are really small, but weigh about as much as a 184. I have a 103 with another donor horn so Dan can make a 4 valve for me when I can stop hemorrhaging money working on my house! The smaller Yamahas just don't have the sonic mass to use in a large group - unless you are Chuck Daellenbach. I will be curious to see what option you choose!
Terry Stryker

Old, ugly horns that play really, really well.
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby Ken Crawford » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:08 am

A Conn 5j would be perfect. They're usually around $2000-2500 for a used one in good shape.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bone-a-phone » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 am

Wessex has some smaller Ebs, the Champion, Solo, and Bombino. The Bombino is small and ligjt, 4 valves, compensating. You can find even smaller Ebs on ebay cheap. I like mine.
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:24 am

Conn 4J
Miraphone 282
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 am

Find an old handmade full size tuba made of thinner sheet metal.
Though I may be remembering them incorrectly, Yamaha 3/4 size large bore 4-valve tubas don't seem particularly lightweight to me.
Also 3-valve tubas weigh much less than do four valve tubas.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Doc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:29 am

bone-a-phone wrote:Wessex has some smaller Ebs, the Champion, Solo, and Bombino. The Bombino is small and ligjt, 4 valves, compensating. You can find even smaller Ebs on ebay cheap. I like mine.

The OP did not say anything about switching keys, but I do agree that the Wessex Eb tubas are very nice and are a great value. I particularly like the Gnagey. Easy to play, great intonation, nice sound, and very handy.

Speaking of handy, Meinl Weston makes the model 18 "handy "model. It would be about the right size.

(Rare) A GOOD Cerveny piggy.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Doc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 am

bloke wrote:Find an old handmade full size tuba made of thinner sheet metal.
Though I may be remembering them incorrectly, Yamaha 3/4 size large bore 4-valve tubas don't seem particularly lightweight to me.
Also 3-valve tubas weigh much less than do four valve tubas.

If the OP could deal with three valves, I would have put Conn 10J first on the list. I had one as a fun-time/beer hall tuba for years, and it was very easy to play and pack around. Had a very nice sound also. False tones we're good, as was the intonation. This was a great tuba to solo on (not that anyone needs to hear me take a ride on anything).
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby EdFirth » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:42 am

I second the 5J. Like your King but smaller and lighter. They are easy to play, make a very nice sound, and are well in tune. Uncle Markie was selling one a little while back. You might PM him. Good luck, Ed
The Singing Whale
EdFirth
3 valves
3 valves

Postby nworbekim » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 am

Thank you... I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I guess I was having a pity party last night. I am looking at smaller appliance dollies too. They have large air filled tires that roll over rough terrain and things on the back, above the tires to help with getting heavy things up steps.

But, I AM looking at smaller horns too. I have no problems with young Eb, that actually may be great mental exercise for my aging gray matter. I have some time, I think.... Meanwhile, this has given me a place to begin.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Postby Doc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:18 pm

In response to your last post...

As a temporary transportation band-aid... (pun intended)

This is the best thing I've bought in years. Rolls over anything, and I have yet to be able to overload it. I've put a tuba, bass amp, bass guitar, stand, and a fan in it and wheeled it like a champ. Another musician I work with hauls his PA head and speakers in his(100lbs), and he has no trouble at all. Folds up nicely when empty. A cheap/temporary alternative to buying a tuba! :mrgreen:

Ozark Trail Folding Wagon

PS: Don't get the one with the skinny white pushmower wheels. Get the one pictured with the big black wheels. You'll be glad you did.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby hrender » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:31 pm

This Mahillon has been for sale for a while. I don't know the actual weight on these, but I've never heard about them being particularly heavy. The Cerveny Arion 683 is just under 19lbs and also looks like a good smaller horn, but I have no first-hand experience with it. I mostly bookmark these for time I'll be looking for something smaller.
hal.
hrender
6 valves
6 valves

Postby swillafew » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:46 pm

I have already banked a horn for this purpose, a Melton 182. I play it now wherever space is tight, which is often.

If I had to replace it today, I would start out looking for a Norwegian Star. I got to play one once and it was like a dream. A Miraphone Petrouschka is also small and plays incredibly well.
MORE AIR
swillafew
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:55 pm

If your King is "old style", purchase a second bell, and store a bell at home at at the place where you most often rehearse/play.
bloke

Postby hrender » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Almost forgot, the Lidl 701 is only 14.3 lbs. I've heard good things about them in the past.
hal.
hrender
6 valves
6 valves

Postby pjv » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:35 pm

I've recently tried out some Cerveny tubas and I was very impressed with what I played. The modern Cerveny's are very light and many models have really good intonation.
The model Bohemia was a very nice playing 4/4. Piggy type models (the Opera for example) are als nice because of the tight wrap. The more compact the easier it is for the body to lug it around.
As well if your fingers are also suffering then rotary valves are the way to go. Very light on the fingers and usually you don't have to push the valves down as far as you do with pistons. You also don't have to screw the valves open every time to oil the valves like on a piston.
If you do find a tuba you like, consider having extra spit valves placed at strategic points. Constantly spinning a tuba to get the condense out is also a strain.
Good luck!
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Postby jeopardymaster » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:44 pm

I scanned the posts rather quickly, didn't see mention of this wrinkle so I'l throw it in. I have heard from more than one individual who was dealing with back issues that top-action valve horns are much less ergonomically suitable for them. But YMMV.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Next

Return to TubeNet