http://www.cerveny.biz/bariton/cep_533-4g.php" target="_blank

Ace
thejester10276
bugler
bugler

Re: I am considering downsizing

Post by thejester10276 »

The yamaha ybb 621's might be something to look into

Although it probably isn't ideal, have you considered switching to an Eb horn? Weight wise it seems much more manageable for any Eb than most BBb's. The seller of this horn is open to trades if you were to consider trading your 2341
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85578&p=646885&hilit=Eb#p646885

Hopefully you find a solution that works well... best of luck to you
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Finding a 4 valved BBb 3/4 size horn is going to be tough. Wessex has the stumpy, which might fit your need. They also have the travel tubas, but they have sound limitations which you may not be happy with. If you went to Eb or F, you would have better luck finding something that is smaller and lighter.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

A Conn 5j would be perfect. They're usually around $2000-2500 for a used one in good shape.
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

Wessex has some smaller Ebs, the Champion, Solo, and Bombino. The Bombino is small and ligjt, 4 valves, compensating. You can find even smaller Ebs on ebay cheap. I like mine.
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I second the 5J. Like your King but smaller and lighter. They are easy to play, make a very nice sound, and are well in tune. Uncle Markie was selling one a little while back. You might PM him. Good luck, Ed
The Singing Whale
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

I have already banked a horn for this purpose, a Melton 182. I play it now wherever space is tight, which is often.

If I had to replace it today, I would start out looking for a Norwegian Star. I got to play one once and it was like a dream. A Miraphone Petrouschka is also small and plays incredibly well.
MORE AIR
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

I've recently tried out some Cerveny tubas and I was very impressed with what I played. The modern Cerveny's are very light and many models have really good intonation.
The model Bohemia was a very nice playing 4/4. Piggy type models (the Opera for example) are als nice because of the tight wrap. The more compact the easier it is for the body to lug it around.
As well if your fingers are also suffering then rotary valves are the way to go. Very light on the fingers and usually you don't have to push the valves down as far as you do with pistons. You also don't have to screw the valves open every time to oil the valves like on a piston.
If you do find a tuba you like, consider having extra spit valves placed at strategic points. Constantly spinning a tuba to get the condense out is also a strain.
Good luck!
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jeopardymaster »

I scanned the posts rather quickly, didn't see mention of this wrinkle so I'l throw it in. I have heard from more than one individual who was dealing with back issues that top-action valve horns are much less ergonomically suitable for them. But YMMV.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
rodgeman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by rodgeman »

I use on of these: http://a.co/4lQ2lmY for my bell from 186. It might work better than a new horn.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

This has become an issue for me as well. At 58, I will be looking for a smaller front action horn fairly soon. I have spent years playing large tubas and it is time to admit that I will need something else. The Boosey&Hawkes three valve BBb tuba that I play regularly is a fantastic horn, however the top action valves are becoming problematic for me as I have an arthritic shoulder and hands. Thanks to those who have contributed information to this post. It is helpful and appreciated.
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

I went through a mountain of 3/4 BBb's (mostly student models) about five years ago, ultimately lucking out by finding an ancient Schuster "Army" model that I dearly love. Finding something like that takes some patience and luck and in my case a fair amount of work on dents, valves and slides. A bit under fifteen pounds and with its large-ish 18.5mm (.728") bore it doesn't sound like a trombone - as did the Olds/King/Yamaha/etc. student models.

Another potentially hard to find model is a Gronitz 4/4 BBb that only weighs about 17 pounds but has a huge sound. Bore graduated from 18.5mm - 19.5mm.

Someone mentioned the Cerveny *83 Arion models which I like but at around 19 pounds they aren't a whole lot lighter than your 2341. I've been told that the Chinese clones of these are good - and can be had new for well under two grand:
https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_bb ... tudent.htm

Good luck with your search!
Last edited by bigtubby on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Eastman and Packer both make 4-valve small student-level piston BBb horns, and MackBrass has a 3/4 4-valve rotor horn that's really inexpensive. Considering the reputations of these companies, they definitely are worth looking at.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I really like my 3/4 Eastman. I posted something about it a few months ago. The bugle resembles the Yamaha YBB-103 but the valve section is a clone of the four-piston King.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Maybe a 4 valve Olds 99?
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

First you might find this an interesting read: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67293" target="_blank
Further;
In the books the Kings are listed as being around 21lbs. A tuba weighing out at 18lbs (like an Arion) is 3lbs lighter which makes a big difference!

I recently tried one of the Tiger tubas. It sounds like a tuba, is very in tune and at 12lbs a winning horse. In my opinion you would want to do some adjustments to the valves because they make a NOISE. Somewhere on TM someone dedicated a post about how they worked it out. (though they had an earlier model which had more problems) I'd say; try it first, then be biased, haha.

The Schuster is like the Arion (compact model) and the piggy; tightly wrapped. And again, the tight wrap makes a big difference when it comes to moving the tuba around.
With rotary valves in general your arm isn't wrapped around the tuba but can hang more to the side, making it possible to have both arms symmetrically positioned in relation to your body. For some people this is also a relief.

A gig bag is also an option. Yes you have to cary the tuba up the stairs but that is much less work.

Good luck.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

pjv wrote:I recently tried one of the Tiger tubas. It sounds like a tuba, is very in tune and at 12lbs a winning horse. In my opinion you would want to do some adjustments to the valves because they make a NOISE. Somewhere on TM someone dedicated a post about how they worked it out. (though they had an earlier model which had more problems) I'd say; try it first, then be biased, haha.
That's a good point, my small 3V Eb tuba isn't that light, though it's close. Art Hovey wrote about some alterations, http://galvanizedjazz.com/tuba/Tiger/Tiger.html, but must have been someone else with the noise issue.

My first thought was "Eb". In a situation where you don't need the output of a contrabass tuba, I think Eb is more fun to play, anyway. If learning to play in a new key sounds hard, just imagine how much it's going to help to keep the brain cells alive (I'm serious.) The down side is that you may need to operate more valves to play the same notes, which could be an issue depending on the nature of the arthritis problem.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

save a lot more weight than that just by ditching the case. Cases don't work, except for obvious usages like putting it in a bus bay or pickup bed. The bulk makes them 100x more likely to hit something than just carrying the tuba alone and putting it on the backseat. will the case protect adequately in all those extra hits? maybe but why take the chance.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

This one looks really interesting to me:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=86327" target="_blank
PlayTheTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by PlayTheTuba »

A Kanstul 902-4B, Meinl Weston 18, and a Miraphone 282 seem to fit your description (not sure how much you are willing to spend). I have not played the Kanstul so I can't comment on that model. I do remember trying the Miraphone and the Meinl Weston many years ago and remembering liking them. Even though I am not a fan of the Fafner or MW 25 I am fan of the MW 18. I unfortunately do not know how much they weigh. On wwbw.com the Kanstul BBb has one review and the CC version has two reviews if you were interested on other peoples opinions. I also played the original (I think it was a Jupiter? Not sure and if it was I don't know if they make it anymore) that this "Schiller American Heritage 4 Valve Rotary Junior Bb Tuba" is a copy of. I thought the original played well. All of the other tubas that everyone has listed so far is amazing. Someone maybe should put into a list. It's fantastic what everyone has posted.

Here is some links

The Kanstul 902-4B
https://www.wwbw.com/Kanstul-902-4B-Ser ... 63615.wwbw" target="_blank

Meinl Weston 18
https://www.wwbw.com/Meinl-Weston-18-Ha ... 70841.wwbw" target="_blank

Miraphone 282
https://www.wwbw.com/Miraphone-282-Seri ... 63922.wwbw" target="_blank

The "Schiller American Heritage 4 Valve Rotary Junior Bb Tuba"
https://www.jimlaabsmusicstore.com/stor ... r-bb-tuba/" target="_blank