Rotary Tenor tuba/euphonium

The bulk of the musical talk
TheAltoHornGuy
bugler
bugler

Rotary Tenor tuba/euphonium

Post by TheAltoHornGuy »

I am interested in picking up a rotary tenor tuba or euphonium. I recently picked up this neat Lignatone Eb Alto (Oval rotary type) and got really interested. Any good brands to recommend? My budget is quite limited.

I hear Miraphone and Alexander are leading this tenor tuba/euphonium sector.
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Rotary Tenor tuba/euphonium

Post by hubert »

The Miraphone 56 A (4 valves, with possibility for a 5th valve) is excellent quality. I play it myself and enjoy it very much. It is lighter/brighter tone than a euphonium, but very warm and lively. Very attractive sound and rather easy to play.

Cerveny 533 and 733 are comparable (also 4 or 5 valves), but not as outstanding quality as the Miraphone. Both Miraphone and Cerveny have "graduating" bore sizes.

The Alex 151 really is the Rolls Royce among tenor tubas. Its "mensura" is wider than the other two. If I could afford it, I would prefer it over an euphonium, because of the the magnificent sound and ease of playing.
Just my 2 cents.
Hubert
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOPsbTq5qE

Here a "Tenorhorn", i.e. the smaller (narrower) brother/sister of the Miraphone Kaiser, the Cerveny 533/733 and the Alexander 155.
Hubert
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

I have a Lignatone 3 valve tenorhorn. It's a cerveny stencil. Plays well.
You can hear it here, track 9 (6 tenorhorns overdubbed).
https://jacobgarchik.bandcamp.com/album/ye-olde" target="_blank
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

hubert wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOPsbTq5qE

Here a "Tenorhorn", i.e. the smaller (narrower) brother/sister of the Miraphone Kaiser, the Cerveny 533/733 and the Alexander 155.
Are you sure that's really a tenor, or is he just playing a "Tenorhorn" part, on a euphonium? That's what it looks like to me. Same with C4 Tenorhorn, where he actually identifies it by model number as a euphonium. Appears to be as hard to keep this straight as it is with the equivalent euphonium vs. "baritone" issue here, even though the nomenclature seems much more sane than the English language situation.

Anyway, I don't claim I can reliably see the difference myself, but I'd say this one is really a tenor: Ondřej Pavluš Koncertní arie (and a young player who makes it sing.)
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

it really is quite confusing. Plus different manufacturers made different sized horns at different times. As with tubas, the instruments have gotten bigger lately.
Here's a picture of a no-name European euphonium (I think!) on the left and my Lignatone tenor horn on the right. I believe both are smaller than any of the instruments in videos linked above.

Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Yes, well, there's no law of nature that forces these instruments into two, or three, distinct categories. Your euphonium looks on the small side to me - somewhat camouflaged by the compact wrap. Too bad it's nameless, looks nice.

Of course, if the O.P. really wants a "tenor tuba", this would be something of a tangent. That would be more like Mark Finley's Kaiser baritone. The Cerveny version has a .630 valve bore, where their tenors are .512 (which is still fairly large for what they are - yours might be smaller than that.)
TheAltoHornGuy
bugler
bugler

Post by TheAltoHornGuy »

Mark Finley wrote:I have a 3 valve miraphone Kaiser that I would sell for a very good price
Could you send me a PM?
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

Feel fair to say that the low register on my Miraphone 56A is OK.
Hubert
TheAltoHornGuy
bugler
bugler

Post by TheAltoHornGuy »

hubert wrote:Feel fair to say that the low register on my Miraphone 56A is OK.
Hubert
Hi Hubert,

Do you prefer an Alexander 151 or Miraphone?
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

Definitely the Alexander. I have played it at the factory and since then it is the instrument of my dreams. Because tuba is my principal instrument and the Alexander is not really cheap, till now I have stayed with the Miraphone that is in my posession for many years already.
Best,
Hubert