Yamaha TMP-BB Clear Mouthpiece Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Yamaha TMP-BB Clear Mouthpiece

Postby the elephant » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Okay, so this has been mentioned here on and off for several years, and no one ever bites the bullet and pays the ridiculous price. (It was like $80 at one point.)

I was getting some stuff on eBay the other day and found these priced down to about $12 with free shipping. (They have gone back up a few bucks and I think the main seller is once again charging shipping from Japan. Not sure.)

So I lucked up into a low price and no shipping, but it came from a shop in Japan, so it took a long time to get here.

In answer to a lot of the questions about which Yamaha mouthpiece it is a copy of: I don't think it is a copy of anything. Rather, I think this is an original (and very small) teaching tool that has no Yamaha analog in metal. It is not made by Yamaha, but is marketed in Japan with that name on it.

It buzzed really well and easily. I have not tried it on a tuba yet. That will come later when I have time. I imagine I won't like it as I hate shallow, narrow, fat-rim mouthpieces. But as a pedagogical aid with beginners this could be a good thing. The only real issue would be the high cost - normally. If you can get one of these close to what I paid it is excellent. I can easily see what is going on - until I actually buzz, and then it fogs up. However, to view what the kid is doing (or have *them* view it in a mirror) in a direct comparison with one on the teacher's face could be useful. I have to get a second one and try this with some 6th graders to see what I think about it in this regard.

Until then this will be used as a warmup tool in the center console of my car so I can do something productive on my one hour commute to work.

Here are some pics. There is the TMP-BB, the Kelly 18 and one of Paul's original SSH mouthpieces. This is a narrow, shallow piece with a very cushy rim. It is more "clear" than my KT-50 and there are not any casting marks. Everything is *much* more smooth than my several Kelly mouthpieces. I don't know how strong the plastic shank is. We shall see...

I have included pics of the box in case you can read Japanese and tell me what it says. :mrgreen:

the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Re: Yamaha TMP-BB Clear Mouthpiece

Postby tubazach07 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:32 pm

I have that same exact mouthpiece. I bought it when I was stationed in Japan. It just hangs out in my house. My 3 year old son runs around the house buzzing on it. I asked my wife to give me the reader digest of the back of the box. It says it’s a practice mouthpiece(my guess used to help train students) made from light and strong polycarbonate that you can also use to play the tuba with. Then it lists warnings like don’t use a hard brush to clean it, dont tighten it too hard in the tuba, make sure your mouth is clean before using, dont use alcohol and thinner to clean it, you can however use Yamaha mouthpiece cleaner, don’t put close to flame and stove.
Navy Band Southeast
Lee Stofer Getzen CB50
1934 Martin Mammoth Handcraft BBb
1910 Henry Diston
Laskey 30H
tubazach07
pro musician
pro musician

Postby the elephant » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks!
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Three Valves » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:40 am

tubazach07 wrote: Then it lists warnings like don’t use a hard brush to clean it, dont tighten it too hard in the tuba, make sure your mouth is clean before using, dont use alcohol and thinner to clean it, you can however use Yamaha mouthpiece cleaner, don’t put close to flame and stove.

...the State of California has determined it will cause cancer.
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
FaxxHB
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:50 am

Hi-ya, J.c. … ;-)

BUMP! HAHAHA!!!
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby J.c. Sherman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:53 am

the elephant wrote:Hi-ya, J.c. … ;-)

BUMP! HAHAHA!!!

Merci!

Did you try it on a tuba?
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Yeah. It is not to my taste. I don't really get into the narrow, shallow mouthpiece thing. It works fantastic on a YBB-103 and that whole series of tubas using that bell and outer branches. (Well, the 621 F and BBb - I did not have access to the CC, but the BBb is enough like it to count it in that group with some confidence.) The low Bb on 621 BBb horn was blatty with this 'piece.

I was not really able to use it to see the kid's face while playing though, as it fogged up badly.

When I used it I did not like it at all on my Kurath F, but, rather surprisingly, it worked okay on the 2165. I like smaller stuff on the Holton. If I ever get it reassembled I will try it out to see what it does. I play that tuba with a blokepiece Solo, for reference.

If you can get one for a price you are happy with I would, as they are hard to find over here and it is always good to have stuff to mess about with.

Just say YES to experimentation! :lol:
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Return to TubeNet