Strangest thing you’ve ever found in your sousaphone?

The bulk of the musical talk
sousaphonestephanie
lurker
lurker

Strangest thing you’ve ever found in your sousaphone?

Post by sousaphonestephanie »

I found a moldy pizza crust in mine tonight.
Stephanie
Rum Velvet
Dirndolls
1926 Buescher sousaphone
sousaphonestephanie
lurker
lurker

Re: Strangest thing you’ve ever found in your sousaphone?

the elephant wrote:Dead rat. Okay, I was a repair tech at a music store and I was doing a chem clean. It was just as gross you you might imagine.
I hope nobody had played that horn recently. I’d imagine inhaling dead rat fumes would not be healthy.
Stephanie
Rum Velvet
Dirndolls
1926 Buescher sousaphone
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Cigar-shaped desiccated mouse/rat in the MTS of a Buescher E flat helicon.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Post by tubapix »

2-$1 bills :)
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

tubapix wrote:2-$1 bills :)
What a night THAT must have been!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
sousaphonestephanie
lurker
lurker

tubapix wrote:2-$1 bills :)
Well, that sounds like a successful night!

I once went out busking, made a sign that said TIPS with arrows pointing down for my bell, and created a net between the body and bell with the foot of a nylon stocking.

I thought that people would LOVE to throw stuff in my horn; I was wrong. They mostly seemed very confused.
Stephanie
Rum Velvet
Dirndolls
1926 Buescher sousaphone
hockeyched
bugler
bugler

Post by hockeyched »

beads
-Josh Davis
Ball State University DA in progress.
Mark Moore
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Mark Moore »

40 years ago, visiting high schools, one sousaphone, a whole marching band flip folder and a tennis shoe, in another sousaphone, one complete method book, the band director had taken it to a repair shop, they ran water through it but couldn't find anything, so he called me and I bounced the bottom bow loose on the carpeting in the band room and got the book out, horn played much more open after that
Mark Moore
University of Illinois
adsteve
bugler
bugler

Post by adsteve »

My cat.....oddly enough if I am holding the tuba she is terrified of it. But I had left the case open and she hopped in the bell. When I closed the bell case I heard a faint meow coming from within. Oddly enough, the cat was named Belle.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

:( When Lee Stofer was expertly restoring my 1930 Conn 48K Jumbo sousaphone a day after I purchased it in 2010, he pulled from it a newsletter from a Chicago high school dated April 1, 1951 along with some Wrigley’s gum wrappers from that period. What an April Fool’s presentation—- nearly 60 years after its publication!

P.S. Stephanie, I love your posts!
Last edited by Steve Marcus on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

A couple water bottles, some full some empty, a roll of caution tape, and a bow from a Christmas present! (Inside multiple Conn 36k's)
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

Styrofoam peanuts from when it was shipped to me :(
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

This one time, back in band camp, in the 70s, I found notes that were in tune with the rest of the ensemble!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
M.Medlock
lurker
lurker

Post by M.Medlock »

Moldy foam nerf football. Maybe it was orange once?
Tubas
Rudolf Meinl 4/4 CC
Miraphone 186 4/4 BBb
sousaphonestephanie
lurker
lurker

Three Valves wrote:This one time, back in band camp, in the 70s, I found notes that were in tune with the rest of the ensemble!!

:tuba:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Steve Marcus wrote:When Lee Stofer was expertly restoring my 1930 Conn 48K Jumbo sousaphone a day after I purchased it in 2010, he pulled from it a newsletter from a Chicago high school dated April 1, 1951 along with some Wrigley’s gum wrappers from that period. What an April Fool’s presentation—- nearly 60 years after its publication!

P.S. Stephanie, I love your posts!
Steve, that's really cool! I bet the newsletter was fun to read.
adsteve wrote:My cat.....oddly enough if I am holding the tuba she is terrified of it. But I had left the case open and she hopped in the bell. When I closed the bell case I heard a faint meow coming from within. Oddly enough, the cat was named Belle.
cats and sousaphones, amirite? https://www.instagram.com/p/BMnUsjigi-m ... offshegoes" target="_blank" target="_blank
Stephanie
Rum Velvet
Dirndolls
1926 Buescher sousaphone
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

One day in 1968, as we entered the HS band room for practice, it smelled like crap (literally) in the room. The band director was looking around for the source. However, in the instrument storage room, when my sousaphone buddy started to lift up his fiberglass sousaphone (36K, I think), urine dripped out of the lead pipe and it smelled really bad in the storage room. Then, he picked up the horn and there it was - a load of crap in the bell. We never found out who did it and I don't know if the crapper intended it for my sousaphone, my buddy's or if it was just random. Band was cancelled for 2-3 days and both sousaphones were sent out for service. That's when, because we were forced to, we had to play the brass sousaphones and I discovered that they sounded so much better. I don't recall what kind they were, possibly Kings. I never went back to the fiberglass sousaphone again after they came back from service. My buddy refused to play the fiberglass ones too because we didn't know which one was his and so we didn't know which one got crapped into. So, he played the brass sousy too. The following year we were both seniors and we graciously let the 2 freshmen play the fiberglass sousaphones.
sousaphonestephanie
lurker
lurker

Bill Troiano wrote:One day in 1968, as we entered the HS band room for practice, it smelled like crap (literally) in the room. The band director was looking around for the source. However, in the instrument storage room, when my sousaphone buddy started to lift up his fiberglass sousaphone (36K, I think), urine dripped out of the lead pipe and it smelled really bad in the storage room. Then, he picked up the horn and there it was - a load of crap in the bell. We never found out who did it and I don't know if the crapper intended it for my sousaphone, my buddy's or if it was just random. Band was cancelled for 2-3 days and both sousaphones were sent out for service. That's when, because we were forced to, we had to play the brass sousaphones and I discovered that they sounded so much better. I don't recall what kind they were, possibly Kings. I never went back to the fiberglass sousaphone again after they came back from service. My buddy refused to play the fiberglass ones too because we didn't know which one was his and so we didn't know which one got crapped into. So, he played the brass sousy too. The following year we were both seniors and we graciously let the 2 freshmen play the fiberglass sousaphones.

Welp. That sure takes the (****)cake.
Stephanie
Rum Velvet
Dirndolls
1926 Buescher sousaphone
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

sousaphonestephanie wrote: That sure takes the (****)cake.
Urinal cake? I doubt it would have made much difference, but it would have been a nice touch.
tubasoldier
lurker
lurker

Post by tubasoldier »

I worked in a music repair shop in high school. I helped to chemical cleanings and minor dent removal.

One sousaphone came in over the summer with a condom stuck in the valves. It took a lot of work to get the darn thing out. I'm not sure what the kid was doing with a condom inside his tuba!

Personally I usually ended up with a few pennies or wadded up paper. I did get a nickel once so that was exciting!
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Some of you have some nasty stories, ewww :o
Besides a few pencils, gum wrappers and soda bottles, the strangest thing I found in my sousaphone back in h.s. was a mini umbrella. Our colorgaurd one year used mini umbrellas as part of their routine, so I knew it belonged to the colorgaurd. I emmidiately knew something was wrong with the sousa after playing a few notes because it responded and sounded very stuffy. So I looked down the bell and pulled out that mini umbrella and threw it across the bandroom because it pissed me off. :x I think they got the hint not to mess with our sousas after that :idea: