Strangest thing you’ve ever found in your sousaphone? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: Strangest thing you’ve ever found in your sousaphone?

Postby Donn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 pm

sousaphonestephanie wrote:That sure takes the (****)cake.

Urinal cake? I doubt it would have made much difference, but it would have been a nice touch.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby tubasoldier » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:42 pm

I worked in a music repair shop in high school. I helped to chemical cleanings and minor dent removal.

One sousaphone came in over the summer with a condom stuck in the valves. It took a lot of work to get the darn thing out. I'm not sure what the kid was doing with a condom inside his tuba!

Personally I usually ended up with a few pennies or wadded up paper. I did get a nickel once so that was exciting!
tubasoldier
lurker
lurker

Postby toobagrowl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 pm

Some of you have some nasty stories, ewww :o
Besides a few pencils, gum wrappers and soda bottles, the strangest thing I found in my sousaphone back in h.s. was a mini umbrella. Our colorgaurd one year used mini umbrellas as part of their routine, so I knew it belonged to the colorgaurd. I emmidiately knew something was wrong with the sousa after playing a few notes because it responded and sounded very stuffy. So I looked down the bell and pulled out that mini umbrella and threw it across the bandroom because it pissed me off. :x I think they got the hint not to mess with our sousas after that :idea:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby tofu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:38 am

Bought a 1912 Holton Eb helicon at a garage sale on a Sat. in Villa Park Il where the two featured items were this helicon and a (supposedly) unused but new condition yellow casket. I passed on the casket - should have bought it and buried the horn in it.

I didn't bother to play test it as I bought it so cheap it could be used as a wall hanger. Called up Wayne Tanabe at the old BrassBow and told him I'd be bringing it in on Mon. for a chem clean - as it was black as midnight and smelled awful. As I'm loading it in the trunk of the car on Mon. morning I notice a few dead large horse flies fall out on the ground. The seller had told me it had come out of his grandfathers barn in MI and he had been a tuba player. Dropped it off at the BrassBow on my way to work. Half hour later I get a call from Wayne and I can hear all hell is breaking out in the shop. When they dropped it in the chem tank hoards of maggots and black flies came swarming out along with a dead decayed opposum and babies. The smell was so bad they had to open all the windows, empty the tanks and close the shop for a day. Oh man I felt so bad for poor Wayne and the guys and still feel lucky that mess didn't happen in my basement.

Your repair guy is your friend!
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Postby KiltieTuba » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 am

Another sousaphone
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves

Previous

Return to TubeNet