Tuba Grips Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Tuba Grips

Postby Sousaswag » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:26 am

What are those grips that I have seen stuck to the bottom bow of some tubas? (I believe I saw them somewhere on YouTube.. Chris Olka I think uses them?) So, really the question is what are they and where would I get them? I'm tired of the tuba slipping around on my pants!
VMI 3302 BBb
Besson 'New Standard' 968 euphonium
Sousaswag
bugler
bugler

Re: Tuba Grips

Postby fenne1ca » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:36 am

Easiest, cheapest solution is rubber shelf/drawer liner. A nice big piece of that on your leg and tuba slippage is a thing of the past! Couldn't find a listing in black (which is what you'll want on stage), but you can find this stuff in any Housewares department:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CTAKM ... CA4T489SV6
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
fenne1ca
bugler
bugler

Postby oedipoes » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:22 am

Sousaswag wrote:What are those grips that I have seen stuck to the bottom bow of some tubas? (I believe I saw them somewhere on YouTube.. Chris Olka I think uses them?)

Sticky pads
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Chris Olka » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:45 am

Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Postby MikeMason » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:49 am

Old school,self adhesive, dash pads. From before cell phones had grippy cases. Look up Chris Olka and see the exact one he mentions. I got 2 he recommended and they worked perfectly. Hold themselves to the tuba with static cling and tightly to your leg. I forgot the link on second order and got wrong ones. No go. From amazon. Better than shelf liner in my opinion because they are set and forget. Shelf liner requires constant fussing with. As a playing stand user for 20 years, I now feel free. Lighter bag and less gear to mess with.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Wisemann 900c with heavyweight bayamo
Yamaha yfb621 with heavyweight manatuska
MikeMason
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Sousaswag » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks for the help, everyone! I appreciate it!
VMI 3302 BBb
Besson 'New Standard' 968 euphonium
Sousaswag
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:55 am

I use this stuff in black. It is essentially small rubber beads molded into a see-through matrix. I use it for my drinking glasses (in white) and in some of my rolling tool boxes as replacement mats for when I tear up the old ones. The photo below shows that same usage and clearly shows the pattern of the material. It is about an eighth of an inch thick and due to its shape it grips both my pants and my horn very well. I never use it with my jeans as they hold the horn fairly well. but my black suit and tux pants are slick, so this stuff does what I need it to and blends in really well. I cut a sheet that fits across my lap. I like this because, while it sticks to both materials well, I can easily move the horn around. I have had issues with other stuff making it difficult to move the horn.

Here is a link to it on Amazon...

My version of Tuba Grips, as you like to call them... :tuba:
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby oedipoes » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:30 am

Seems like sticky pads do not stick to the smooth nickel plated surface of my Rudi...

The best thing I have found so far is non-adhesive tennis-racquet-handle tape.
It's very thin, and provides excellent grip both to the tuba and my pants.
I tape the ends with standard black insulation tape, and it's been holding up for more than a year now, without issues.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Return to TubeNet