S linkages to DuBro

The bulk of the musical talk
TheAltoHornGuy
bugler
bugler

S linkages to DuBro

Post by TheAltoHornGuy »

I bought this Lignatone Alto horn (oval shape/German style) and it has S linkages. I want to embark on a new project to switching it to Du-bro linkages. I have seen Rick Denney's article in the past but his one has 'pin-type' linkages like my 70s Windisch trumpet. My Lignatone has S linkage, which the rotor arm holder? (the part where the S linkage is connected to) is different from the pin-type linkage rotor arm holders.

Anyone here in this forum done a S linkage to Du bro linkage? Do you modify the rotor arm holder or leave it as it is?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: S linkages to DuBro

Post by Dan Schultz »

I haven't seen one that couldn't be converted to DuBro links.

Question... are the S-links badly damaged or missing?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
TheAltoHornGuy
bugler
bugler

Post by TheAltoHornGuy »

No. I heard they are smoother and faster.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Just fix the S-linkages, dubro can be just as bad. got kinda burned on that once.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

TheAltoHornGuy wrote:No. I heard they are smoother and faster.
The speed will be influenced way more by the tension of spring, the trueness of the bearing and rotor side walls, and then cleanliness of the rotor than the linkage.

A worn linkage should be replaced, but if theres no play in the linkage then there's no need to change it. The main advantage of dubro is that it's inexpensive.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

TheAltoHornGuy wrote:No. I heard they are smoother and faster.
Properly set up S-links are more robust and just as fast as anything that can be used
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

There are not a lot of Lignatone (Cerveny stencil) horns out there, and after repairing all sorts of linkages and making new linkages of all sorts over nearly 40 years, I'd suggest fixing the S-linkages. Any instrument repair person that has been trained and is experienced in the art of key-fitting can make those original linkages quieter-than-new, as well as aesthetically appealing. It just takes some time and work.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.