cheap recording equipment??

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

cheap recording equipment??

Post by TheTuba »

so, I tried recording myself yesterday and all I got was the metal of the tuba rattling

It would be really nice if I can hear myself play and make criticisms (most of us are hard judges against us)

can you guys recommend some cheap inexpensive equipment thet you can hook up to a laptop?
less than or equal to 100 dollars by the way....

Thanks!
-Raghul :tuba:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Cdub
bugler
bugler

Re: cheap recording equipment??

Post by Cdub »

I'd recommend a zoom h1. Simple to use and can be used with a laptop or by itself. Amazon I think has the older model for about 65. :tuba:
Mack 410gb
On Wisconsin
Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaguyry »

I second the Zoom series. I have an H2, and it sounds fantastic for the money. Can you get better results by spending a bunch more money on a much more complicated setup? Of course you can. But if you want a cheap, point-and-shoot, great sounding recording device, you really can't go wrong with a Zoom H_.
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

Big Mouth Brass J-445LQ F
JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb
1964 Olds O-97 BBb sousaphone

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

Additional recommendation for any Zoom recorder in your price range. Also highly recommend experimenting with mic placement. Even for quick and dirty recordings on my smartphone, the difference between placing it on my music stand versus elsewhere the room (either in front of or behind me) is huge.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
Ernieball
bugler
bugler

Post by Ernieball »

+1 for Zooms.

I use the H2n - it records anything you throw at it and sounds great.
M.Medlock
lurker
lurker

Post by M.Medlock »

Zoom H1 is on amazon for $63.

When I used the Meteorite I thought it was a little hot and lacking in low end. Maybe if you turned the gain way down or moved it further away it would get better? That said, it is about half the price of the H1.
Last edited by M.Medlock on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tubas
Rudolf Meinl 4/4 CC
Miraphone 186 4/4 BBb
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

fenne1ca wrote:Even for quick and dirty recordings on my smartphone, the difference between placing it on my music stand versus elsewhere the room (either in front of or behind me) is huge.
Can you turn it on and off remotely somehow??

A setting or app would be nice...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

Three Valves wrote:
fenne1ca wrote:Even for quick and dirty recordings on my smartphone, the difference between placing it on my music stand versus elsewhere the room (either in front of or behind me) is huge.
Can you turn it on and off remotely somehow??

A setting or app would be nice...
No, sadly. However, my voice memo software has built-in editing features, so it's quick work to just clip off the opening silence.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

If you can stretch to $140...you can get a Zoom Q2n, which combines the great audio from other zoom products with up to 1080 video, so you can watch yourself screw up in addition to hearing it. A fantastic little recorder.
David A. Goldfarb
bugler
bugler

Post by David A. Goldfarb »

The Q2n offers a lot of bang for the buck. Recording quality is astonishingly good for the price, if you get the mic placement right.
twitter: @GoldfarbTbone
1958 BBb Martin "Mammoth"
& a handful of 'bones
Stipe
lurker
lurker

Post by Stipe »

Zoom is great, but if you prefer more possibilities (but also more complicated setup) you might consider something similar to mine - basically I used some cheap "not needed anymore" gear lying around.
Costs just around 100$ (new) and you can attach it to laptop or to your phone, as I did, since it's more convenient.

Mixer: https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB ... ger+302USB" target="_blank
Mic: https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_ovi ... cc_100.htm" target="_blank

Don't panic!
ZIMETMUS
lurker
lurker

Post by ZIMETMUS »

If you have an iPhone/ipad you might consider the zoom microphone option.
[img]http://www.hickeys.com/assets/product_i ... 40.jpg/img]

This Stereo Microphone for iOS Devices turns your iOS device into a field recorder. Small enough to slip into your pocket, the Zoom iQ6_a stereo X/Y microphone attaches through a lightning connector.

[url]http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/ ... 40.php/url]
David A. Goldfarb
bugler
bugler

Post by David A. Goldfarb »

I bought a Blue Mikey stereo mic for my first iPod that could run iPhone apps. When the iPod died, I got an iPhone, which had a new configuration for the 30-pin connector, so the Blue Mikey became obsolete, and I got a Tascam stereo mic for the next generation 30-pin connector. Then when that phone died, I got a new phone that had a Lightning connector. That was when I decided I wasn’t buying any more microphones for iOS devices.
twitter: @GoldfarbTbone
1958 BBb Martin "Mammoth"
& a handful of 'bones
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

ZIMETMUS wrote:If you have an iPhone/ipad you might consider the zoom microphone option.
[img]http://www.hickeys.com/assets/product_i ... 40.jpg/img]

This Stereo Microphone for iOS Devices turns your iOS device into a field recorder. Small enough to slip into your pocket, the Zoom iQ6_a stereo X/Y microphone attaches through a lightning connector.

[url]http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/ ... 40.php/url]
Do these fit over cases? Like I have an Otterbox for my iPad, seems like it wouldn't fit?
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

I have a Zoom HN4 that I've used to record everything from my personal practice sessions, to outside Concert, and Jazz Band concerts it works great and gives good sound quality, put it on a mic stand and get the wired remote option it's really versatile. The HN4 is a little overkill for what you want to do (it is a 4 channel multitrack recorder) but their cheaper options do a good job as well.
Last edited by Radar on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

One of the more useful features on the portable recorders like the Zoom (unlike the voice memo apps on phones) is level control. The automatic level control on most voice memo apps compresses your dynamic range to a mid-range “mezzo-something or other”. You still capture time, rhythm, and intonation, but tembre and dynamics aren’t really well represented. FWIW, I borrowed a Zoom h1 from a friend and intended to pick one up for myself, but got a Yamaha PR7 as a gift; I find it to be every bit as good as the Zoom.
Slamson
bugler
bugler

Post by Slamson »

Just a mini-rant, here...

If you think you need to buy a $25,000 tuba to sound good, why would you think you only need a $100 piece of gear to record that sound well?

While I'm at it, that $25K tuba isn't going to sound good unless you practice, so that $10,000 recording gear isn't going to sound well unless you...
sorry, I don't do signatures.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Slamson wrote:Just a mini-rant, here...

If you think you need to buy a $25,000 tuba to sound good, why would you think you only need a $100 piece of gear to record that sound well?

While I'm at it, that $25K tuba isn't going to sound good unless you practice, so that $10,000 recording gear isn't going to sound well unless you...
Because electronics are cheap compared to tubas. Outside of studio quality recording...a $100-$200 will take you pretty far!
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

What I like about my zoom h4 is that when recording quintet you can actually hear the tuba on the recording.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

I use a Blue Yeti USB mic. Works great!