OFFICIAL LIST: Horns Used by Players Dismissed at Auditions

The bulk of the musical talk
proam
bugler
bugler

Re: OFFICIAL LIST: Horns Used by Players Dismissed at Auditi

Post by proam »

Interesting. One thing that I am getting from this thread is that there are clearly some wrong choices of instruments. I’m a larn’in sumthin!
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:The "Bolero with a large bore trombone" thing totally reminds me of tuba players auditioning on Meistersinger with large C tubas - when the proper instrument is obviously an F tuba. In the USA, I believe this Wagner piece is played for audition committees on large tubas out of a combination of wonky American tradition and fear of change - even if change for the better.
+1

Can be done, even on a (heaven forefend!) BBb (back when I was in kolij, when that's all I had), but since then I've always played it on an Eb (fits very comfortably in its "natural" range, from low A, right up to high D).
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Legend has it that Floyd Cooley played his entire S.F. Symphony audition on an F tuba. I wonder if tuba players in England play their entire auditions on Eb tuba?
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

bloke wrote:The "Bolero with a large bore trombone" thing totally reminds me of tuba players auditioning on Meistersinger with large C tubas - when the proper instrument is obviously an F tuba. In the USA, I believe this Wagner piece is played for audition committees on large tubas out of a combination of wonky American tradition and fear of change -
...or because the audition rep list specifies which horn. Another example of that is Till Eulenspiegel--the committee sometimes places that excerpt on the contrabass list (never mind the specification of BBb vs. CC or vice-versa)
Last edited by Steve Marcus on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

bloke wrote:I've certainly not participated in every American audition, but I have never seen that.
Ted Cox did a study of rep lists from major orchestras. A few of them presented a list of pieces to be played on CC and another list to be played on F.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia