What do you look for?

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

What do you look for?

Post by TheTuba »

In auditions, what is the most important to least important things that you look at?

-Raghul :tuba:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: What do you look for?

Post by Ken Herrick »

It's NOT what you LOOK at but what is LISTENED for. If you were auditioning for some sort of honors band what the adjudicator(s) would be listening for would be VERY different to what a top level orchestra or band would be seeking.

I am surmising that you are at some high school level with aspirations of going forward.????

Find a good teacher, work your butt off, do a lot of listening, learn some piano (keyboard) and some theory study and ear training and spend a lot of time listening to fine performers play great music. Do a lot of playing with others - hopefullu better than you are so you learn how to make music in a group - a MUST for a tuba player.

THEN, someday, with a bit or luck, you will become a real musician whom others want to listen to. Someday after that somebody will have a playing position open for which you might offer your services and be a better musician than others seeking that position.

An audition is an opportunity to demonstrate you ability to make music. Simple.
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

I listen for silver plating, stainless steel mouthpieces and proper receiver gap.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Ken Crawford wrote:I listen for silver plating, stainless steel mouthpieces
Speaking of which, if a stainless steel mouthpiece could be silver plated, would that thing still happen with the 4th partial? I can see that being a potential problem, you know - great playing, but too much 4th partial, looks like trouble with the trombones.
Slamson
bugler
bugler

Post by Slamson »

The first thing is listen for is the sound of the air going in. An open, "silent" sound tells me immediately if the player understands breathing, and open throat.
Then I pray that the tongue stays out of the way.

If all that happens, I'll notice if the player is doing dynamics, and playing in tune (simultaneously, not in that order!)

Does the player have an interpretive concept of the literature? Does it match mine? Is it better (probably).

Of course, just like people who go to stock car races, I'm excited when there's danger. I'm impressed when a player leaves a minor clam behind and continues to play their hearts out.

What do I LOOK for? The filaments in the light bulbs to start vibrating sympathetically.
sorry, I don't do signatures.