Moment of Impact

The bulk of the musical talk
8vb
lurker
lurker

Moment of Impact

Post by 8vb »

Where were you the moment you realized the Vaughan Williams tuba concerto is simply a rehash/retread of material from his 6th Symphony?
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Moment of Impact

Post by doublebuzzing »

8vb wrote:Where were you the moment you realized the Vaughan Williams tuba concerto is simply a rehash/retread of material from his 6th Symphony?
Where were you when you realized the only redeeming movement of the concerto is the 2nd and that the Gregson is much more musically interesting throughout?
8vb
lurker
lurker

Post by 8vb »

So there I was, smoking some pork loin on the back porch. Beautiful Georgia peachwood bathing the meat in a sweet, smokey sweater. Dogfishhead 90-minute graced my pint glass. Emitting from my iPad set on “Shuffle” was Vaughan Williams 6th, first movement, when a familiar 6/8 jaunt was heard. Intrigued, my attention was drawn away from my Weber Smokey Mountain towards my iPad. Now focused, it hit me. The Moment of Impact™️.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Let's just admit it: everything Vaughan Williams composed was crap. And, no self-respecting musician would ever play anything by John Williams.
Northernlb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Northernlb »

John Williams has done what most have not been able to do in the last century, create music that the general public wants to pay money to go and see an orchestra play.
:tuba:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Northernlb wrote:John Williams has done what most have not been able to do in the last century, create music that the general public wants to pay money to go and see an orchestra play.
Toe tapping and commercial viability are frowned upon in these parts, stranger!!

I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

bloke wrote:
Northernlb wrote:John Williams has done what most have not been able to do in the last century, create music that the general public wants to pay money to go and see an orchestra play.
The lucrative-yet-disappointing thing for me is when I'm hired to play those video game music concerts, and they're sold out.
Well almost everybody under 35 knows that video game music is much more profound and genius-inspired than a Beethoven, Mozart, or Mahler Symphony :roll:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

doublebuzzing wrote:
Well almost everybody under 35 knows that video game music is much more profound and genius-inspired than a Beethoven, Mozart, or Mahler Symphony :roll:
Have you ever seen his face on a bubble gum card??

I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

It is the movie music that is going to make it to still be played in the future, because of what people are going to want to listen to. I admit loving playing John Williams (on the horn; never had the chance on tuba) because the brass parts just wail. The weird noise that one has to write to get through a musical composition degree, is not going to be anywhere but in a file cabinet somewhere.
olaness1
bugler
bugler

Post by olaness1 »

MaryAnn wrote:It is the movie music that is going to make it to still be played in the future, because of what people are going to want to listen to. I admit loving playing John Williams (on the horn; never had the chance on tuba) because the brass parts just wail. The weird noise that one has to write to get through a musical composition degree, is not going to be anywhere but in a file cabinet somewhere.
Most music that's written isn't very good. The reason all the old music we play IS, is that we've already filtered out the tedious stuff. History also tells us that people who live during the lives of composers, aren't very good judges of their efforts. Hence most of the (old) stuff you hear in concert halls today wasn't all that successful when new, and conversely, the stuff that is popular now is not likely to be the stuff that survives the cull. If either of us got this right with our guesses about what will be popular in the future, it will only be by a lucky guess.
Northernlb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Northernlb »

Your view of music history and composers is in accurate. Every time period did have their stand out and their music is still played today. The thing most do not realize is you need the John Williams of every time period to appease the masses and to bring in the money because with out it then we would not have any music being played at all. This is not about the genius inspired music, but what the masses will pay money to go see. The best composers and conductors of the 21st century understand this and have grown their patrons in difficult time where we see more contraction of professional musical orginzations rather than growth.
Mark

Post by Mark »

doublebuzzing wrote:Well almost everybody under 35 knows that video game music is much more profound and genius-inspired than a Beethoven, Mozart, or Mahler Symphony :roll:

Seriously good tuba playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKYn4ACAd7s
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

grumble grumble I remember when people thought the only good music was what they wrote as background noise for them doggone ballerinas why back in my day....