Practicing during the busy season

The bulk of the musical talk
TubaofGilman
bugler
bugler

Practicing during the busy season

Post by TubaofGilman »

I have a question about your suggestions on practice daily schedule. We have concerts scheduled throughout the year. How do work your concert music practice time with practicing your fundamentals? How much time should be spent on each? A breakdown please.
Mack Brass 410 CC and St. Petersburg 3v Eb
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Re: Practicing during the busy season

Post by Oldschooltuba »

The more time I spend on fundamentals the less time I need to practice concert music. Unless you cannot sight-read. I am heavy into solo literature right now and am working an several "heavy" pieces. The more time I spend on the basics, the easier the harder parts become. Right now about 30% is done in Fundamentals.
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Oldschooltuba wrote:The more time I spend on fundamentals the less time I need to practice concert music. Unless you cannot sight-read. I am heavy into solo literature right now and am working an several "heavy" pieces. The more time I spend on the basics, the easier the harder parts become. Right now about 30% is done in Fundamentals.
Absolutely right!!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

Once upon a time, my daily routine was about two thirds of my practice, and the practice time was ample. After a semester of really drilling the routine, my dad told me I sounded "different", and he was surprised by the change. I don't practice as much now, but it's more daily studies than anything else.
MORE AIR
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I agree that raising your general level so that the concert music is not a challenge, is the way to go for most of us. I do know someone who is so unbelievably coordinated that he can take the concert music the day of or before the concert, practice the hard parts, and get them right. In general he does not practice at all except to get his lip in shape (older person, amateur trumpet player.) I am not so lucky; basically if I can't sight read it reasonably well, I have to raise my entire level until I can. That of course turns you into a monster sight reader over time.