Sooo Close!!! (RT-44)

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Sooo Close!!! (RT-44)

Post by TheTuba »

I've had the RT-44 for a week now, and it is sooo close to slotting in with me and my miraphone. BUT the one thing I find somewhat wrong is it's too light. I like a richer darker sound, and while this is a brighter sound that i'm used to, its not the problem. The problem is that I use a lot of air, and when band material requires me to play out, the RT-44 dosen't live up to it (bladdy tuba sounds). Is this me or the mouthpiece, because i've never had this problem before.

So final question,

Do you guys know of any mouthpiece EXACTLY like this one but heavier
or
Do you guys know any way to add weights?

Thanks!
-Raghul
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Re: Sooo Close!!! (RT-44)

Post by TubaDude »

There is a RT-44+ which has a heavier wall, that might just be the additional weight that you're looking for.
TubaDude
1909 King Helicon with 4th Valve Added
1913 York 4 Valve Eb/C Helicon (for sale)
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

bump to get more replies
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I tried the RT-44 on my 210L and I liked the way it felt but nor the way it sounded.

A Bach 24AW sounded great but was too small and the low range suffered.

I was able to try many mouthpieces in it including a Laskey 30g and RT48 and 48+

I eventually settled on a Bach 12.

Anything 33mm or larger feels too big.

But I'm always open to try something else!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

Rather than buying tons of mouthpieces that you think you might like, wasting hundreds of dollars, you should really try a bunch of different mouthpieces to see which on you like the best. I got lucky on my first try with my G&W MMVI for CC, but it took me quite a bit of experimenting to figure out what I wanted for my bass tuba. Also, I do think that some people put too much emphasis on the weight of the mouthpiece, I have never considered it to be extremely important.

For example those mouthpieces that you can add or take away a huge amount of weight. I have tried every combination with and never once felt a difference in tone or feel. I think it was because it doesn't change the rim or internal dimensions. I'm sure there are some here who can feel when their receiver gap is just so, and tack brass onto their bell to balance their tonal nodes. Honestly the best equipment is well practiced lips. The players many of us look up to in terms of technical and tonal mastery could probably sound amazing using a trumpet mouthpiece taped into an ophicleide crook jammed into a tuba receiver.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
wagtuba23
bugler
bugler

Post by wagtuba23 »

I love my PT-44 and I have tried a lot of mouthpieces and always come back to the PT-44. The PT 50 (RT50) might be what you are looking for!
Walter Gomes
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

"Honestly the best equipment is well practiced lips"

Who would have thunk!