6/4 tubas: some hate, some love, and a lot of ???

The bulk of the musical talk
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: 6/4 tubas: some hate, some love, and a lot of ???

Post by Wyvern »

Ken Crawford wrote: You may not agree, and that is ok. (But I'm right) :tuba: <---this is a 5/4 tuba btw.
A very interesting idea, but not supported by my experience. I have played numerous concerts on 6/4 tuba with various ensembles and a number have been recorded with me having an opportunity to listen afterwards to how it sounded at the back of the hall.

In no cases would the 6/4 tuba not be heard - but had a real presence distinct from recordings where I have been playing smaller tuba. I have also listened to others bands with and without 6/4 tuba playing in the same acoustics. Inveriably the band with a 6/4 will sound better, with a real bottom to its tone.

If you don’t like 6/4’s then don’t play them (that’s fine), but don’t pretend they need the help of trombones to sound, as that is not supported by reality.
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

Wyvern wrote:
Ken Crawford wrote: You may not agree, and that is ok. (But I'm right) :tuba: <---this is a 5/4 tuba btw.
A very interesting idea, but not supported by my experience. I have played numerous concerts on 6/4 tuba with various ensembles and a number have been recorded with me having an opportunity to listen afterwards to how it sounded at the back of the hall.

In no cases would the 6/4 tuba not be heard - but had a real presence distinct from recordings where I have been playing smaller tuba. I have also listened to others bands with and without 6/4 tuba playing in the same acoustics. Inveriably the band with a 6/4 will sound better, with a real bottom to its tone.

If you don’t like 6/4’s then don’t play them (that’s fine), but don’t pretend they need the help of trombones to sound, as that is not supported by reality.
+1
John 3:16

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Yamaha YSL-630 .525 Trombone
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

bort wrote:
In 20+ years of tuba playing, I don't think I've ever run across a Conn 2XJ outside of TubaChristmas. :| :?:
I've seen lots of them in schools back when we would travel a lot for competitions. We'd practice in other schools band rooms a lot and I'd always see a 20J or two sitting around. Now at tuba Christmas yes it always seem like there is a couple! Call me crazy but they're my favorite horns if you can't tell from my name.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

TUbajohn20J, I see you now have a 26J, a very rare front action Conn, so congratulations on picking up that. I have played one belonging to my friend and they are nice tubas
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Wyvern wrote:A very interesting idea, but not supported by my experience. I have played numerous concerts on 6/4 tuba with various ensembles and a number have been recorded with me having an opportunity to listen afterwards to how it sounded at the back of the hall.

Shock -- the guy selling 6/4 tubas likes 6/4 tubas... :roll: :P
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

bort wrote:
Shock -- the guy selling 6/4 tubas likes 6/4 tubas... :roll: :P
And plenty of smaller tubas too. If you have been reading my posts for years on here, you will know my love of 6/4 tubas is sincere. I was praising them long before Wessex Tubas even existed. In fact I became friends with Andy Loree, now Wessex US agent through our shared love of BATs. Just search Jumbo Summit to find us participating in the mass Conn Jumbo play a decade ago.

I participated in this thread due to my passion for tubas. If it was for marketing Wessex I would have been banging on about how the TC694 Presence has been specifically designed to address the issues of 6/4 tubas being potentially fluffy and not projecting :wink:
Last edited by Wyvern on Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Wyvern wrote:TUbajohn20J, I see you now have a 26J, a very rare front action Conn, so congratulations on picking up that. I have played one belonging to my friend and they are nice tubas

Thank you. I have been looking for years and finally came across one. I restored it to like new. It's a very fun horn to play! Very nimble and not woofy.
Picture here
Conn 26J tuba https://imgur.com/gallery/n9XVF" target="_blank" target="_blank
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Wyvern wrote:A very interesting idea, but not supported by my experience.
Wyvern wrote:don’t pretend they need the help of trombones to sound, as that is not supported by reality.
Wyvern wrote:the TC694 Presence has been specifically designed to address the issues of 6/4 tubas being potentially fluffy and not projecting :wink:
Arguments aside, thank you for addressing the issue with a new design. Wessex is driving innovation in the industry more than anyone else.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Ken Crawford wrote: Arguments aside, thank you for addressing the issue with a new design. Wessex is driving innovation in the industry more than anyone else.
Thanks, Ken! Hope to meet you in person at ITEC North West and you can then try for yourself
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

bloke wrote:...yet somehow, they sell tubas.
Hmmm; the guy says Eastman's been "generous", which suggests they *gave* it to him. Does that also constitute a sale? :lol:
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

bloke wrote:.... and doesn't post-and-post-and-post ...
??? 8.27:1

bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:Your list of top-spammers caught someone who endlessly posts about their stuff for sale.
Spamsors? :)