MW Fafner 195/2

The bulk of the musical talk
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

MW Fafner 195/2

Post by WagnerRing »

Has anyone here ever played the handcrafted sheet metal version of the Fafner 195, designated as the 195/2 model? The model is similar to the standard Fafner 195 rotary valve model, but is made from sheet metal and also has a different layout for the 4th valve tubing. There's a significant cost premium for the 195/2 which may partially explain why it is so uncommon. The regular 195 model is far more prevalent. If anyone on this forum has ever played the 195/2, I'd be interested to hear their impressions of the tuba compared to the standard 195. FWIW, I've played both the 195 and 195/5P and find them both to be excellent. Thanks for our comments.
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Re: MW Fafner 195/2

Post by oedipoes »

I have played both, and yes, at least for the ones I have tried, they play quite differently.
The standard 195 was ok, but did not ring my bell. Big sound but a bit clean in my opinion, and quite heavy.
I would not have considered buying that instrument.

The 195/2 had a much different character, more color in the sound, and a bit more feedback under the bell.
Apart from the price point, I would have been happy owning this instrument as my big tuba.
However, my Rudi 4/4 has about 90-95% of the sound output potential of the 195/2, so not a big enough difference to me.
The Rudi is also lighter, even now with 5 valves.
At that price, there are also some other good options to consider... Rudi Bayreuth, Miraphone Hagen 6/4, Melton 197/2, Gronitz PBK, ...
But YMMV, and I am not in the market for a new kaiser tuba:
My old B&F kaiser is currently in Berlin to restore it and I hope it will blow all others out of the water when finished...
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

MW Fafner 195/2

Post by Robert Tucci »

Fine instrument. I invested in one of the first ones made in 1997, silverplated. Works great with an RT-50 or RT-88, also with the RT-83. The instrument has interchangeable fourth slides; standard as well as another with a rotary valve which adds a long half-tone.

Bob Tucci
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Re: MW Fafner 195/2

Post by WagnerRing »

oedipoes wrote:I have played both, and yes, at least for the ones I have tried, they play quite differently.
... The 195/2 had a much different character, more color in the sound, and a bit more feedback under the bell.
Robert Tucci wrote:Fine instrument. I invested in one of the first ones made in 1997, silverplated. Works great with an RT-50 or RT-88, also with the RT-83. The instrument has interchangeable fourth slides; standard as well as another with a rotary valve which adds a long half-tone.
Thanks for the helpful feedback. Your comments reinforce what I would expect from the 195/2 sheetmetal version of the Fafner. Along with the 197/2, both of these handcrafted sheetmetal 5/4 BBb tubas, set a high standard. Both of these models seem to be vanishingly uncommon in the USA.