A stupid question/observation

The bulk of the musical talk
DiveBomber
bugler
bugler

A stupid question/observation

Post by DiveBomber »

I am a high school player so please take everything I say with that in mind. I currently play on a king 2341 and have noticed something a little odd. The spring in my second valve is noticeably softer (easier to push) than the other three. The spring looks the same (meaning it wasn't replaced with mismatching spring), so this has brought up a question. How long do springs usually last before they lose their "spring" to the point where it matters? Does this mean that the second valve has just been used more than the others? The performance of the instrument is not effected it was just something interesting I noticed.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Re: A stupid question/observation

Post by Alex C »

Spring steel should retain its original compression resistance for years, maybe decades, under the confined requirements of a brass valve. My guess is that the spring was replaced by a tech with a "similar" spring but not OEM.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Switch the springs around and see if they feel differently.
DiveBomber
bugler
bugler

Post by DiveBomber »

Your right now that I look at them they do look a tad different. It is not a big difference but definitely a difference. Thanks.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Swapping the spring for one in the other pistons is a good test. Also... realize that your middle finger is quite a bit stronger than the other fingers.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

...and stinkier!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.