Unlock the OFFICIAL LIST post please *POLL*

The bulk of the musical talk

Should the moderators unlock the "OFFICIAL LIST of horns that won a job" thread?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 36

Watchman
bugler
bugler

Unlock the OFFICIAL LIST post please *POLL*

Post by Watchman »

I know it's dumb. I know it's filled with jokes, and inside jokes, and people making fun of other people for saying "won a job." I know that "Leto Cruise" is probably a troll account.

All that said, it was a fun thread that is now locked forever. Unlock it. Don't kill the fun. Can we at least vote on it?
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Unlock the OFFICIAL LIST post please *POLL*

Post by Ken Herrick »

Obviously not a good bridge player as a good one wouldn't have gotten trumped.
Free to tuba: good home
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

lost wrote:I don't think the thread in question is funny at all. It was filled with a lot of quiet rage and seething sarcasm. Randomly bumped by people looking to contribute, unwittingly unleashing more discord.
Doesn't that just sum up the entire internet, though?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

lost wrote:Seems like it was getting people upset....
lost wrote:I don't think the thread in question is funny at all. It was filled with a lot of quiet rage and seething sarcasm....
In the future, you may want to consider being straightforward instead of outing yourself later. :oops:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
binlove
bugler
bugler

Post by binlove »

I thought the thread was interesting. In fact, I wish it had more info – like dates, and international auditions. Would be cool to see how players' habits have changed over time or how quickly new instruments get into the audition circuit, or how different regions compare. Heck, a list of instruments used on the job would be interesting for the same reason – though it would be a PITA to assemble and maintain.

I'd be shocked if anyone was actually using the audition thread as the primary factor in an instrument purchase. And if they were, that's their problem, not an indication that this isn't interesting information.

Unfortunately, those who didn't think there was value in the historical record effectively vandalized it to ensure that it wasn't a useful discussion. Kind of a common occurrence here. The community and personalities are great (and tuba isn't so terribly serious that we can't have fun), but this behavior tends to diminish the value of Tubenet.
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

binlove wrote: Unfortunately, those who didn't think there was value in the historical record effectively vandalized it to ensure that it wasn't a useful discussion. Kind of a common occurrence here. The community and personalities are great (and tuba isn't so terribly serious that we can't have fun), but this behavior tends to diminish the value of Tubenet.
+1
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

bloke wrote:The "list" is a humorous troll, ...
Most online communities don't look at any type of trolling as a good thing. USENET died a decade ago, and any positive connotations of "troll" along with it.
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

bloke wrote: THE MOST POLITICAL stuff posted here (far more political that the banned "US politics") is the promotion or demotion of specific makes/models of tubas, as these specific types of activities can have direct effects (particularly when many allow others to do their thinking/evaluations/decision-making for them) on the monetary value of privately-owned physical property.
Let's say the words. You're having a rip at Jonathan because he's promoting some 6/4 tubas and people are interested. You're plainly jealous. Nobody likes a bully.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:
Are you trolling me...?? :lol:
bone-a-phone wrote: You're plainly jealous. Nobody likes a bully.
YES!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Watchman
bugler
bugler

Post by Watchman »

Interesting perspectives.

True, some sales guys are going to be sales guys and use a list like this to try and make a sale. I still think the thread is fun. I mean, people here LOVE talking about equipment. Give the people what they want!
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

This part of the forum is called the "bulk of the musical talk", which is all said and done, an occasional post about music.
MORE AIR
David A. Goldfarb
bugler
bugler

Post by David A. Goldfarb »

How about an official list of who won what chair by their teachers? Could be interesting for applicants to conservatories and music programs to know whose students are getting the best jobs.
twitter: @GoldfarbTbone
1958 BBb Martin "Mammoth"
& a handful of 'bones
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I love learning about equipment and thought the thread was openly a light-hearted approach. I missed any dissing, and I'm so accustomed to the aggressive selling by one particular member that if that was there I ignored it.
The only tuba I'm interested in is the one that won Philadelphia, because that's the only person out there who is anywhere near my physique, but it's fun to read about all the other stuff. Maybe someday I'll know something about tubas and not just the ones that have worked for me.
Mark

Post by Mark »

MaryAnn wrote:I love learning about equipment and thought the thread was openly a light-hearted approach. I missed any dissing, and I'm so accustomed to the aggressive selling by one particular member that if that was there I ignored it.
The only tuba I'm interested in is the one that won Philadelphia, because that's the only person out there who is anywhere near my physique, but it's fun to read about all the other stuff. Maybe someday I'll know something about tubas and not just the ones that have worked for me.
If you are talking about height, there are a couple of men that might actually be closer.